myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Marinschek <martin.marinsc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Client-ID
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:08:08 GMT
Except you render the client-id to the server - transmit it back via
an AJAX-request - and now want to lookup the component and do some
handling on this component .

How do you do this in ADF faces - I know you are using a filter, but
how do you know which component the filter applies to?

Do you - additionally to sending the client-id to the client- send the
scoped id as well?

@Adam: well, findComponent does not work if the component is a child
component in a dataTable, and IMHO it should, that's my basic issue
here.

regards,

Martin

On 1/26/06, John Fallows <john.r.fallows@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
>  On 1/25/06, Adam Winer <awiner@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The intention of clientId is to provide an identifier that can be
> > used in markup and therefore to refer to elements on the client.
> >
> > The point of findComponent() is find UIComponents on the server,
> > generally given known (that is, explicitly set) IDs (and I mean
> > "id", setId(), getId()) on various waypoints between the source
> > component and the target component.
>
>  I think this is the key point for the discussion.  There's no reason to
> expect findComponent to work with client id.
>
>  Kind Regards,
>  John Fallows.
>

> > It's not obvious to me why you'd want to go from one to the other;
> > they're basically totally different roles.
> >
> > It's also somewhat meaningless to have row identifers apply
> > to scoped-id:  what you get out the other end is a UIComponent,
> > and that's it:  how could the row identifier meaningfully apply
> > to that return value?
> >
> > -- Adam
> >
> > On 1/25/06, Martin Marinschek <martin.marinschek@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Yes, ok.
> > >
> > > but then, the scoped-id is something which should also work with row
> > > identifiers. And - there should be a way to lookup a scoped identifier
> > > from a client-id and the other way round. If both are unique - why
> > > take away the possibility of converting them into each other from the
> > > user?
> > >
> > > regards,
> > >
> > > Martin

> than