myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <sean.schofi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [maven] Revised Reorg Proposal --> Was: [maven] Latest maven changes
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:47:49 GMT
> Agreed - I have been in and out of the deve lists for the last 6
> weeks or so and have not had a chance to follow the discussion on
> commons and how we package it so that tomahawk can run on the RI. Is
> the idea that tomahawk would have two assemblies, one for running in
> the RI and one for MyFaces?

myfaces-commons.jar is just the stuff that was in the former 'share'
module (code that is shared between tomahawk and impl.)  The jar is
now to be released independently of the two projects and both the
myfacaces implementation distro and the tomahawk distro will contain a
version of myfaces-commons.jar.  Most likely each release of *either*
the implementation or tomahawk will involve a new release of commons.

> This is fantastic! Perhaps we could donate it to the mojo project on
> codehaus? That project seems to get lots of exposure and exposure
> never hurts :-)

A worthy idea.  We haven't gotten around to the snapshot repository
and a few other things like this yet but Bruno has written a plugin.
We just need to move it out of the test svn repo to its new home.

> Do we want to do some QA on the site before pushing it out? Something
> like a nightly build of the site that someone could point a link
> crawler at? Just a thought. We had a somewhat lengthy discussion on
> this topic on the WADI incubation list but I don't think that list is
> archived yet. Here is the jest of what we came up with for WADI
> (Builder is the site builder);
>
> 1) Builder - builds site with mvn site and does an initial sanity check
> 2) Builder - once satisfied that the build is not a waste of anyone
> else's time pushes the site to an intermediate server
> 3) Builder - sends email to dev & user list stating that website X.X
> RC1 is available for review at http://intermediate/foo/index.html
> 4) Everyone interested clicks on the links reads the doc etc and
> files jira issues against the site
> 5) Repeat steps 1 - 4 until dev's are satisfied with the site
> 6) Builder - push the site out to official project site
>
> This is not necessary but adds a bit of safety that the pushed site
> is 'good'.
>
> If we had an automated link crawler we could automate that as part of
> continuum and get an email right after a checkin breaks the site,
> just another thought...

I was thinking that we could automate the website (like we were trying
to do with forrest.)  This way corrections to documentation and new
announcements get pushed out right away.

Before we cutover to the mavenized site, an extensive review is
definitely in order.  Also an automated link check would be nice as a
minimum.

> I like assembly.

So noted.  Bernd and I aren't wild about it but we're planning on
keeping it for now while we get the actual build working.  Then we can
revisit naming.  He is also looking forward to continuum which I know
you will be happy about.

Sean