myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [maven] Latest maven changes
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:48:48 GMT
Hi,

Sooner or later, the MyFaces core will stabilise while tomahawk charges
ahead. So at *some* time the release cycles will have to separate. I
think it's beneficial to split them sooner rather than later, so I'd
like to see a structure set up now that makes that easier.

Sooner or later, real "bugfix" releases should also be supported;
MyFaces has just ignored that issue so far. Again, this is much easier
to do when the libraries have separate release cycles; I'd hate to see a
new myfaces-impl.jar release just because a nasty bug was found in
t:dataTable...

On the subject of externals, I dislike them a lot. Sometimes they are
necessary, but I'd prefer to see them kept to a minimum.

Note that it's perfectly possible in SVN to copy several dirs into a
tags dir, eg
    svn cp myfaces/trunk/commons tags/spec/x.y.z/commons
    svn cp myfaces/trunk/api     tags/spec/x.y.z/api
to make a tag dir containing the two parts of MyFaces required to
implement the specification (commons and core). In other words, how the
subprojects are grouped for releases doesn't have to mirror their
repository layout. It makes creating a tag fractionally more complicated
(it *is* nicer just to be able to copy some common root dir) but I would
still prefer this over externals.

Regards,

Simon

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 09:53 +0100, Bernd Bohmann wrote:
> Here is a more detail description of my thoughts
>
> If myfaces is a project without separate release cycle, a possible svn
> structure:

[snip]

> With the second option I expect faster release cycles. This would be
> nice for a faster tobago and adf integration.
>
> Which a snapshot repository or a mavenized released version on a maven
> repository, it should not be a problem to checkout tomahawk only and
> compile it (indepent of the first option or the second option).

[snip]