myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Winer <awi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving forward on the Oracle donation
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2005 23:21:09 GMT
My assumption is that the initial arrival will be akin to Tobago,
part of MyFaces, yes, but a third set alongside Tomahawk
and Tobago.

This of course raises major questions going forward of how
to integrate all of these into one coherent set - and, of course,
the question of whether to integrate at all (default answer - yes).
These aren't new questions for MyFaces - it already exists within
the context of Tomahawk + Tobago, but it does make it an
even bigger and tougher issue.

BTW, yes, we've got our own ViewHandler (currently registered
implicitly via META-INF/faces-config.xml).  The big nastiness
with all these ViewHandlers is that ordering effects can be distinctly
nasty to work with.  The best thing to do, IMO, will be writing a single
powerful ViewHandler with lots of separte, well-defined pluggability
points.  We do some of this sort of stuff already with a Service
API that lets you define optional interfaces on a RenderKit that'll
get called as needed by the ViewHandler - no private IP being
revealed here, just google "ExtendedRenderKitService" for
a taste of the idea :)

-- Adam