myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <sean.schofi...@gmail.com>
Subject Proposal: Switch to Maven(2)
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:58:15 GMT
I am proposing we switch to Maven2.  I think we now have enough people
who are ready willing and able to sustain the Maven effort.  In the
interest of time I will not go into why I think Maven is better then
Ant (I'm probably not the best person for that anyways.)

Here are the details of my proposal:

1.) Minor changes to the svn structure to become more Maven friendly.
These are minor changes to the directory layout and the result will be
something similar to what we have in the test repository.[1]

Changes will be made to the trunk only.  We will also backup the
current structure (like we did before the last reorg) so nothing will
be lost and we can go back to the old if things don't work.

2.) Abandon (but do not remove) the current Ant scripts.  I don't
think they're worth changing.  It will be much simpler to focus on the
maven script and just push through the pain.

3.) Temporarily abandon the nightly builds.  Make an announcement on
the user list that nightly builds will be unavailable for the next
week or two while we get the new infrastructure setup.  The nightly
builds rely on the Ant scripts.

4.) New Mavenized website.  Slowly migrate to a Maven generated
website.  At first only the essential pieces will be there (basic
overview, mailing list and jira info, etc.)  Once the site is being
automated and published it will be easy to add pieces back each day.

5.) Move to a solaris zone for building the nightlies and publishing
the website.

I think the best way to proceed with this is to jump right in and push
through.  Bruno has offered to help and the Tobago team has already
provided some assistance.  Wendy and James from the Struts team have
offered to help when possible and now John Fallows is offering his
assistance.

I will go ahead with the reorg in the next few days if I get enough
+1.  Keep in mind that the existing maven script already builds the
jar files so developers will continue to have access to the latest and
greatest.  Also keep in mind that I have done one SVN reorg for
MyFaces already and that with SVN its easy to "roll back" if we aren't
happy with the results.

Thoughts?

Sean

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/myfaces/