myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Reiner K. Kappenberger" <reine...@comcast.net>
Subject Validation Errors for selectItems in SelectOneMenu
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 03:25:13 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm fighting a peculiar problem right now on a Web page with 3 selectOneMenu
items. The first 2 of those are for allowing the user to narrow down the 3rd
drop down box (to prevent overly large drop down lists). When using
valueChangeListeners the drop down boxes are populated just fine.

The problem arrises when submitting the form for storage. I'm getting "Value
is not a valid option" on the last 2 drop down lists. The second one isn't
even associated with any storage (since all I care about is the value change
event).

To illustrate here's the snipet from the page:

<h:outputLabel for="field1Input">
    #{resources['fiel1Label']}
</h:outputLabel>
<h:selectOneMenu id="field1Input"
                 valueChangeListener="#{myBean.changeField1Listener}"
                 onchange="submit()"
                 converter="field1Converter" >
    <f:selectItems value="#{myBean.field1List}" />
</h:selectOneMenu>
<h:message for="field1Input" styleClass="errors"/>

<!-- Select Model for Device -->
<h:outputLabel for="field2Input">
    #{resources['field2Label']}
</h:outputLabel>
<h:selectOneMenu id="field2Input"
                 valueChangeListener="#{myBean.changeField2Listener}"
                 onchange="submit()"
                 converter="field2Converter" >
    <f:selectItems value="#{meyBean.field2List}" />
</h:selectOneMenu>
<h:message for="field2Input" styleClass="errors"/>

<!-- Select SNR for Device -->

<h:outputLabel for="field3Input">
    #{resources['field3Label']}
</h:outputLabel>
<h:selectOneMenu id="field3Input"
                 converter="field3Converter"
                 value="#{myBean.selectValue}" >
    <f:selectItems value="#{myBean.field3List}"/>
</h:selectOneMenu>
<h:message for="field3Input" styleClass="errors" />
myBean contains the Listeners (that will do the DB query and fill the value
lists (ArrayList) for the drop down boxes. The whole thing is running within
Facelets if that makes a difference. As well I've downloaded the nightly
build from 12/17/05 to make sure it wasn't already fixed. It looked a bit
like the MYFACES-996 bug, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for any help or suggestions,
Reiner