myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Winer <awi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSF 1.2
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:22:35 GMT
On 11/29/05, Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a question regarding the new EL.  Does the old EL have to be
> supported still?  It seems like a bunch of methods are *deprecated*
> but not removed.  That's certainly going to complicate things in the
> interim.

Sadly, the rules we work under require complete API compatibility.
We can deprecate methods, but we can't remove them.  I'd
like nothing more than to kill the old APIs (and make some other
changes, too), but it's just not in the cards.

The EL side of things isn't actually that bad, since the old APIs
can all be implemented in terms of the new ones in a rather
straightforward fashion.  The real ugliness is in supporting the old
and new state manager APIs - now *that* is painful.

-- Adam