myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Dudney <bdud...@mac.com>
Subject Re: tags, branches and 'current'
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:22:36 GMT
Agreed,

We need a branch and we need to edit it.

As I understand it there is currently the
release/ with externals to all the tags except the sandbox.

I've just checked out and the tag won't build because it does not
included sandbox.

My proposal;
1) Create a branch of each subproject that is a copy of the 1_1_0 tag
2) Rework the 'release' to point to the branch of each subproject
3) Create a tag of sandbox starting now that is labeled 1_1_0 (even
though it does not correspond to the 1.1.0 release I'd like the
naming to be consistent) and copy that to a branch
4) Commit the change to the build branch
5) build and test
6) create a new tag in each subproject called 1_1_1
7) send email so that Sean can build and push a new release

Thoughts?

I'm going to start executing in about 15 minutes if I don't hear any
dissent so speak now or hold your peace :-) (for the english not as a
first language folks that is an old Texas colloquialism meaning if
you don't say it now, don't say it)

TTFN,

-bd-

On Sep 23, 2005, at 7:59 AM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> I'm certainly no expert in making releases nor am I a committer, but
> why start off being sloppy?  There's a bug that warrants an immediate
> release.   There's no guarantee that another such bug won't turn up
> after the next release and require another release.   That's what
> branches are for, so why resist using them?
>
> Because work on MyFaces are ongoing, it's not reasonable to try to
> support maintenance releases without branches, is it?
>
> On 9/23/05, Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sigh.  How did we miss this one?  I thought we did a test of
>> everything?  This is probably the only type of error where we could
>> justify doing this although its kind of embarassing that it happened
>> in the first place.
>>
>> Technically you can check into a tagged version so this is probably
>> the best thing to do.  Let me know when its done (and tested) and I
>> can do a rebuild and re-publish of the myfaces binary bundles over
>> the
>> weekend.
>>
>> sean
>>
>> On 9/23/05, Martin Marinschek <martin.marinschek@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We have been discussing doing a release as the problem with the
>>> faces-config.xml missing in the myfaces-all.jar is a very prominent
>>> one ;)
>>>
>>> If there is a way of fixing the existing release with just the
>>> faces-config.xml file, that would be better!
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Martin

be;

tags &