myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Manfred Geiler <manfred.gei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Outstanding webapp issues
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:01:27 GMT
Hmm, depends on our release road map. We have not yet dicussed when
the next official release should happen. What are your feelings about
the reorg? Do you think we could make a first release candidate next
week? Or is it too early?
If we release soon, we should pay much attention to the DataTable
during release testing. Let's wait for a few days and see if DataTable
problems stabilize. If not or if we discover major issues during
release vote we can still rollback. Only thing we have to do is
remember the timestamp of the patch commit. Sean, can you please stick
a note to your monitor?  :-)

-Manfred

2005/7/6, Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com>:
> Manfred,
>
> Its my fault for committing.  Mathias just submitted a patch for
> people to play with.  I did a quick test but I thought it would be
> easier for us to comment on code in SVN instead of trying to keep
> track of a series of patches.
>
> Do you want me to roll it back?  I think there have been some good
> improvements in the implementation.  My vote would be to let Mathias
> continue working on it as long as he has time.  We can wait a few days
> ... If this is a problem though I will roll back and we can let him
> work offline.
>
> sean
>

> On 7/6/05, Manfred Geiler <manfred.geiler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok, looks like I have to jump into the "bad cop" role now.  :-(
> >
> > DataTable is a very very delicate component. I know there were some
> > long outstanding issues, that need to be fixed.
> > BUT, DataTable supported some important things that only occured in
> > very complex scenarious. This makes the code look awful and patchy in
> > some places (escpecially for the nested table stuff), but all those
> > things were extensively reconsidered and tested, believe me. MyFaces
> > DataTable solved many issues that RI DataTable had for a long time
> > (and still has I think).
> > Please do not get me wrong. I know that the current situation, where
> > the original author (=me ;-) currently does not have enough time to
> > dig deep into the implemention, is not desirable. Sorry for that.
> > Therefore I really appreciate the fantastic work and help of Sean and
> > Mathias and I try to phrase careful enough to not intimidate someone.
> > ;-)
> > So, please be very very careful with the DataTable. Mathias, if you
> > have really made it to get DataTable easier and clearer, that would
> > really be great, but please: test, test, test. There will be many
> > sleeping issues that you might not be aware of by now, believe me. I
> > remember the hard days (and nights) when I wrote the original
> > DataTable component.
> >
> > No need for panic of course. If you are not able to fix all issues
> > with features that have worked already (eg. preserveDataTable!) in
> > reasonable time, we should decide about a rollback scenario. This
> > would take out the pressure and would give us more time for a more
> > relaxed discussion.
> >
> > Anyway, thanks Mathias for dealing with this "hot iron" and please
> > keep us up to date.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Manfred
> >
> > PS. I would not really be the right cast for a "bad cop", would I?  :-)
> >

> > 2005/7/6, Martin Marinschek <martin.marinschek@gmail.com>:
> > > I have just tried out the simple examples - the dataTable
> > > implementation seems not to be working anymore.
> > >
> > > Now I don't know if this is an issue with the new dataTable
> > > implementation or with the svn reorg, but we should definitely try to
> [...]
It is