myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Eclipse .project & .classpath files (is he talking about Maven again?!?!?!)
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:10:20 GMT

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, James Mitchell wrote:

> I know I don't have a vote here ;)  but if I did, it would be -1

I too would be -1, but for a different set of reasons.

1) Anyone not using Eclipse will break the Eclipse build any time they
make a change to the dependecies. You can't expect people to update IDE
specific files if they don't use that IDE.

2) Sharing these files almost invariably requires each user to set up
project and workspace variables. Either this quickly gets complicated, or
the user has limited flexibility in how to configure their system. Also,
the workspace variables can interfere with other projects.

3) It doesn't scale. Someone has already suggested doing the same thing
for IDEA. What about NetBeans, JBuilder, JDeveloper, WSAD, CodeWright,
MultiEdit, ...? Where do you stop, and how do you maintain them all?
Someone coming to project for the first time will expect them to work if
they're there.

--
Martin Cooper