myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suggested codenames for new components subproject
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:01:54 GMT

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Sean Schofield wrote:

> I have a general comment about the Apache [whatever] Extensions
> Project convention.  We are really talking about a subproject of
> MyFaces.  IMO we do not need to describe this subproject with the
> words "Apache" or "Faces."
>
> Consider the Shale subproject.  People just refer to it as "shale."
> Shale is just shorthand for a Struts subproject that deals with JSF
> stuff (I'm simplifying what Shale is but describing Shale is not the
> point of my post.)  Nobody calls it Apache Shale Struts project or
> whatever.
>
> My proposal is that we use a codename from the project and drop the
> words "Apache", "Faces" and "Extensions."  IMO "Extensions" is a
> possible alternative to a codename.  I still do not think it
> accurately describes what is in the subproject (it contains standalone
> JSF components that have nothing to do with "extending" MyFaces.)

I beg to differ. You are interpreting the word "extensions" too narrowly.
Adding components over and above those that are part of the spec is most
definitely *extending* the set of available components. So "extensions" is
a perfectly appropriate name.

> My thinking is that the use of a codename (instead of the currently
> confusing label of "components") will make things easier for the users
> to understand what the subproject is for.  On our website we can have
> a new tab labeled "Tomahawk" or whatever.  If the user navigates there
> they will get the longer explanation of what the subproject is.  The
> jar file would be tomahawk.jar (or whatever name you choose.)
>
> IMO this is all that is necessary.  Currently I like tomahawk the best
> but warpaint is interesting.  I wonder if those that do not like
> tomahawk because it is "too martial" won't also object to warpaint on
> the same grounds though.  Warpaint does have the nice dual meaning of
> "war" however.  I could also live with mocassin.  I don't really like
> extensions or any of the other choices (bijoux) that much.

If you're going to choose "moccasin", will you please at least spell it
correctly? ;-) Everyone seems to be persistently using the incorrect
spelling, and I'd hate to end up with that incorrect spelling being used
in the name of an ASF component...

--
Martin Cooper