myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From ir.ing.Jan Dockx <jando...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Elimiante jar files from SVN
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:24:52 GMT
On 26 Jun 2005, at 19:44, Craig McClanahan wrote:

> On 6/26/05, Sean Schofield <sean.schofield@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Craig,
>>
>> What are your thoughts on including them in a binary distribution?
>> What is Struts doing these days?
>
> Including the dependent jars in a binary distribution (assuming
> license compatibility) is definitely a reasonable thing to do.  That
> way, the end user who downloads your binary distribution has an "all
> in one" release that is self contained.  This is how Struts releases
> are packaged.

 From a user perspective, if I may, this is kinda annoying. We develop
code ourselves too, you know ;-), and have our own dependencies. This
may come as a surprise ;-),  but we also tend to use bean-utils, and
the likes (and maybe the versions differ). Just a bunch of jars that
come with the binary distro is actually very complex to sort out from
our point of view.

What really helps the users, is a clean description of the
dependencies: which lib, which version (i.e., which version did the
developers test with, might work with higher versions), where can I
find it (if possible, automated), and also, what is it needed for
(runtime? compile? only for 1 component?).
Guess what? Other projects have had this problem too. And maven solves
it to a large degree.

Ugh.

> Craig

Met vriendelijke groeten,