myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesse Alexander (KBSA 21)" <alexander.je...@credit-suisse.com>
Subject RE: javax.faces.component.html package
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 08:22:08 GMT
Hi

I "panicked" because in the downloadable JSF-sources that package contains
only a package.html but no sources. I double-checked just now: the class-files
are in the jar-file.

Sorry
Alexander

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 10:01 AM
To: MyFaces Development
Subject: Re: javax.faces.component.html package

On 5/27/05, Jesse Alexander (KBSA 21) <alexander.jesse@credit-suisse.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a question about this package. I thought "javax.faces.*" package
> define the JSF API. And therefor those packages and classes should be
> available in all implementations.

Yep, they should.

> - MyFaces delivers this package which contains quite a few usefull classes
>   in its myfaces-jsf-api.jar giving the impression that these are really
>   API-classes.
> - In the JSF Reference Implementation this package is missing.

Huh?  The javax.faces.component.html classes are certainly part of
jsf-api.jar in the reference implementation.  They are not found in
jsf-impl.jar precisely *because* they are required to be available in
any compatible implementation of JavaServer Faces.

> Now is this a problem with the RI (which should also deliver it)
> or with MyFaces (which should not deliver it)?

The classes in question live in jsf-api.jar of the RI.

> I need to create components which can run under both implementations
> (our company has not yet decided which implementation to use) and
> every now and then one of the classes from this package slips in.

Your compilation scripts should reference only the API jar file of
whichever implementation you want to use, so you can say things like
"public class MyCommandLink extends HtmlCommandLink" and have it work
with any implementation.  If MyFaces doesn't include these classes in
its API jar, then that's a bug.

> regards
> Alexander

Craig