myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <sean.schofi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sandbox
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 19:28:42 GMT
> I'd like to kick off the whole sandbox debate again. Yes, I'm a sucker
> for punishment..

We need to start talking about this.  I was going to start a thread on
this myself ;-)

> If I recall correctly, the consensus was to have a "sandbox subproject"
> for new components. I would like to propose a simpler solution: Why not
> have the sandbox as a subdirectory of the existing project. Then we can
> just specify all "s:" components as sandbox components until they are
> completely accepted by the community. At that time they can become "x:"
> components.

This suggestion has a few drawbacks.  I prefer a separate subproject
for SVN for the sandbox along with a separate build file and resulting
jar file.  This way when a component is promoted out of the sandbox
there are no changes to the TLD and more importantly users do not have
to change their JSF.

Also, its important to be able to build and release the components
project at any time (nightlies plus regular releases.)  I'm assuming
that the components project (Tomahawk) will be released on its own as
well but we should also discuss that further.  You don't want the
sandbox junk cluttering up the jar file, TLD, etc.  The simplest way
to do that is to have a separate subproject.

> Would this satisfy the ASF's requirement for "All New Components Must Go
> Through the Incubator" ? Hopefully...

I think Ted's concern regarding this (from the myfaces-pmc thread) is
that code that is *already developed* outside of ASF should not go
straight into the project.  So for components that grow out of
discussions on this board would not apply.  Hopefully that is what he
meant anyways.

sean