myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From "James Mitchell" <jmitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MyFaces Reorg
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 05:33:16 GMT
Hi,  sorry to pipe in late ;)

Sean and I just spent a few hours on the phone talking about the reorg of
myfaces.

As you might know, we (Struts community) have gone through this ourselves
recently, so we have plenty of insight to offer.

Here's my take on what needs to be nailed down before any action is taken.
a) determine exactly what the output will look like at the end of this
     - artifacts
        For example:
           myfaces-api-1.0.11.jar  - contains ...
           myfaces-impl-1.0.11.jar - contains ...
           myfaces-all-1.0.11.jar  - contains all classes and
                                     config from src/foo and src/bar
           myfaces-sandbox-1.0.11.jar  - contains all classes and
                                         config from src/sandbox
           myfaces-docs-1.0.11.zip - the web site and documentation

b) determine the steps involved
c) determine how the build will be adjusted to accomodate
d) go through a rehersal on a test server

Sean, can you put this down somewhere (wiki perhaps)?

As far as moving to a Maven-based build, I would love to help with that.  I
can personally guarantee that it can do everything the current Ant script
does, and then some.  I proved that over and over in Struts-land.  Our
single outstanding issue with that has to do with the documentation.  But
that's still in progress.

If you decide you would like to take me up on this offer, please do so as a
group.  This would be a pretty significant investment in what little free
time I have.  Although, I seem to be getting more of that back since
starting a new job.

If you guys do decide you'd like to take me up on the offer, then I have a
few suggestions for you to consider with respect to how the project gets
laid out.  Nothing is mandatory, but simple changes can benefit all.

Here's what I put together for the Struts maven-based build.

I run a single crob job on a dell laptop that does an update from svn and
then kicks off Maven and ends doing an scp of the resulting build artifacts
to this location:
http://svn.apache.org/builds/struts/maven/trunk/nightly/

(oh, and don't worry about the bomb icon, that's what apache http server
puts for any folders with "core" in the name....you know, in case something
takes a dump ;)

As you can see from the log last night, the build took approximately 12
minutes:
http://svn.apache.org/builds/struts/maven/trunk/nightly/logs/maven-build-20050527.log
Total build time was about 12 minutes.

Here's an example of what you get for free with Maven:
http://svn.apache.org/builds/struts/maven/trunk/docs/
As you look over that site, keep in mind that all of this was generated from
a couple of xml build files.  Not a "build.xml" file per se, but with the
same notion in mind, it is called "project.xml" and describes your project.
The big difference is that instead of being 870 lines long(as is the current
build for myfaces/trunk/build/build.xml), the project.xml files under
struts/current/{subproject} are usually under 100 lines, some only a few
lines.  Maven is fully integrated with every tool or report under the sun.
Most of the hand coding needed for Ant builds just isn't needed.  Maven
already knows you wanted it.

Go ahead and click on "Struts Core" in the navigation box.  Next, click on
"Project Reports".  Now look through some of those reports.  Each of those
reports are automatically configured and run based on the existing
project.xml file.  The useful ones (for me anyway) are the PMD, Simian, and
JCoverage reports.

Sorry for the long post.

--
James Mitchell