myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <sean.schofi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Modest Restructuring of MyFaces Project
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:12:25 GMT
> I agree with the "same project" concept although, from a technical
> point of view, *all* the source code for MyFaces is in the same
> "project" -- it's really about directory structure within the
> repository.  For that, it's still likely to be convenient to have the
> api and impl classes in two separate directories that are parallel to
> each other.

I think we have that now.  There is a jsfapi directory (for the api),
myfaces directory (for impl), share directory (for the "common code")
and components dir (for components and other goodies.)

[snip]

> This follows an architectural principle that has been done with all
> the recent Java APIs, especially the ones that are going in to J2EE at
> some point.  Indeed, that's going to become an issue for MyFaces with
> JSF 1.2, which becomes part of the J2EE platform.  It will be
> necessary to verify that either:
>
> * Can load the MyFaces API and IMPL classes from WEB-INF/lib
>
> * Can load just the MyFaces IMPL classes and use the built-in API classes
>
> (or both) will work in a 1.2 time frame.  Not an issue now, but will be later.

I've definitely noticed the trend.  So once JSF 1.2 is part of J2EE
the API will ship with the J2EE server?  I guess I can see the
reasoning there.  But wouldn't most J2EE containers also support an
implementation or is that optional?

> Craig

sean