myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Rossmueller <oli...@tuxerra.com>
Subject Tree2
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 01:08:30 GMT
Sean,

I finally found some time to dig into your tree implementation, and
although it's a nice component there are some issues I would like to
discuss:

- I don't like how you changed the way the data is handed over to the
tree by forcing the user to provide TreeNode implementors? To use
TreeModel in swing was a wise decision of the designers at sun as it's
an interface which can be implemented for any kind of hierarchical data
in a simple and lightweight manner. That's why I duplicated it in my
tree impl. In you model I would be forced to wrap all my internal node
objects with a TreeNode implementor because I'm not able to change the
internal node objects as  they are provided by a 3rd party library. It
can be done but in comparison to the TreeModel implementation I have in
place at the moment it's a more complex and more heavyweight solution.
And I don't like to have to ask my boss to buy better machines and more
RAM because instead of one object per node now I have to create two of them.
- tree2 is not able to deal with node selection so anybody would be on
his own to implement this feature; I think there should be a way to have
the tree handle node selection
- your scheme of defining how the nodes are rendered is nice and simple,
but it will not work out for some of the scenarios I have to deal with;
so we have to find a more powerful way to specify rendering rules

Oliver

--
Oliver Rossmueller
Software Engineer and IT-Consultant