myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MyFaces component project
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:14:37 GMT

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Kito D. Mann wrote:

> I'm happy to see that you guys are seriously considering placing the
> components in a separate subproject. I think this will make the components
> seem much more palatable to people who aren't already using MyFaces. (I've
> seen a lot of confusion about whether or not you can even use the components
> without the MyFaces implementation).
>
> Last year at JavaOne, Ed Burns (JSF 1.2 spec lead), Matthias Unverzagt, and I
> talked about the OurFaces project (https://ourfaces.dev.java.net/) and how we
> wanted it to be a standard repository for high-quality open-source JSF
> components. Of course, time is always scarce, so the project hasn't
> progressed quite as we would have liked. Matthias, the project's leader, did,
> however make a lot of progress organizing the project so that new commiters
> could easily add components. (You can read Ed's blog entry about this at:
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/edburns/archive/2004/08/lets_learn_abou.html).
>
> Since the MyFaces component work, in contrast, is quite vibrant, I think it
> would make sense to take the OurFaces concepts and transform the MyFaces
> components subproject into sort of a central repository for open-source
> components. Borrowing Matthias' work would make that process much easier, and
> we could also look at migrating any unique features of the OurFaces
> components over to the MyFaces component subproject over time.
>
> Any thoughts?

My only comment is to remind people that the ASF and SourceForge are quite
different in the way they work. The ASF is a meritocracy, while SF tends
to be more of a free-for-all. The relevance of this to a component
repository is that just because someone shows up at MyFaces with a new
component doesn't mean that they can necessarily get it added. It would
depend on whether or not they have a history with the project, and whether
the existing community deems that they have sufficient merit to be invited
to join - or whether existing committers are willing to take
responsibility for the component themselves. Of course, SF *can* work this
way as well. It's just not required to do so.

So basically you need to decide how you want a central repository to work
before you can decide whether it should live at the ASF as part of
MyFaces, or live somewhere else such as SourceForge.

--
Martin Cooper