myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <sean.schofi...@gmail.com>
Subject Examples Suggestions
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:49:06 GMT
I have a few suggestions on how we might be able to improve our
documentation and examples.

1.) Stop putting examples into the tabbed panel and menu.  While this
is nice to have in order to show off the tabbed panel, menu, etc. it
adds a lot of code to the example page that is not relevant to the
component in question.  There are issues with subview, verbatim, etc.
that just confuse the issue.  I suggest that we rework the individual
component examples so that they can stand on their own.

2.) Make the examples available in the documentation of the
components.  It would be nice if you were interested in the date
control to click a link and read about it and then see an example of
the component on the same page.

3.) Include the JSF source of the examples on the example page.  It
would be nice to see the actual JSF that produces the component when
reading the documentation and looking at the example.  Of course, the
source code can be downloaded and examined, but for the casual user
investigating myfaces, it would be nice to just see the JSF right
there.  We could probably do some interesting tricks with ANT scripts
and <f:verbatim escape="true"> to auto-generate this source.

4.) Develop a standard template for component documentation and
examples.  This really just means standardizing on items 1-3 (or some
other set of standards.)  Each component's web documentation should
have the same look and feel to it with roughly the same layout.

I am bringing these issues up now because I think it might be
something we want to address as MyFaces leaves the incubator.  I will
be happy to help with whatever the group can agree on.

sean