myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Vieujot <svieu...@apache.org>
Subject h:selectBooleanCheckbox in a x:dataTable : BUG found but ...
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:04:47 GMT
I've found the bug :

The HtmlDataTableHack has a _saveDescendantStates boolean.
This is set by the HtmlDataTable to false if it's rendered for the first
time (which seems reasonable), BUT also if all the table's childrens are
valid.
So, if you have no validation error in your table, the data model isn't
preserved.
This comes from the assumption that if there is no validation error, the
values will be applied to the backing bean, and thus, we don;t need to
retain them.
Unfortunately, if you're in a tabePanel and select another tab, then the
values aren't applied to the backing bean, and if you have no validation
error, then the submitted values are lots.

I've just commented the culprit code in HtmlDataTable, as this
optimization can still be valid, but in more restricted cases.
We have to check (if possible) that the applyValues phase will be run.

I suspect this isn't easy (if possible), but at least, the code is still
there before we decide to improve or discard it.

As for the problem described by Sean, I'm not so sure anymore that my
previous explanation (bellow) is valid.
Indeed, now, if you press the submit button, the single checkBox value
is lost (which I thought was normal), but the values of the checkBoxes
in the dataTable aren't lost.
So, at least, we have an inconsistency here, and I'm not sure which
behavior is valid.

Sylvain.

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 14:43 -0400, Sylvain Vieujot wrote:

> [...]
> > > and I think this is normal. > Indeed, saveState saves the value of the
> > > backing bean, and as we are > dealing with submitted values (that haven't
> > > been applied to the backing bean > yet), the submitted values aren't saved.
> > > Like introducing on the fly a component at the root of the view that would
>
> > > be in charge of preserving the data model ? > > Thanks, > > Sylvain.
> > >
> > > On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 21:24 +0100, Martin Marinschek wrote: > yes, that
is
> > > wrong... the preserve data model does only work if the > component is
> > > rendered - in this case it is not, as you are tabbing away to > the other
> > > tab... try it with an x:saveState statement... regards, Martin On > Sat,
12
> > > Feb 2005 15:28:07 -0400, Sylvain Vieujot <svieujot@apache.org> > wrote:
>
> > > Hello Martin, > > No, I didn't include any x:saveState. > I thought
> the
> > > preserveDataModel would do that. > Am I wrong ? > > Sylvain > >
> On > Sat,
> > > 2005-02-12 at 19:20 +0100, Martin Marinschek wrote: > you need to save >
the
> > > state of the checkboxes - do you do that? do you have > an x:saveState >
tag
> > > on the top of the jsp? I don't know, I can't check the > cvs right now,
>
> > > but if not, you need to save the state of your managed > bean... regards,
>
> > > Martin On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:07:22 -0400, Sylvain Vieujot > >
> > > <svieujot@apache.org> wrote: > Hello Sean, > > I agree that
checkboxes are >
> > > components of un-selected tabs as they aren't decoded. > > Plus, in the
> >
> > > examples webapp, on the first tab, the "A checkbox" checkbox > is rendered

> > > a > > change to the webapp that shows that the problem > isn't specific
to >
> > > On Sat, >
> >
> > > checkboxes aren't reset because they are on every tab. > They are always
> >
> > > being resubmitted. Would you agree that the checkboxes are > being reset
on
> > > disabled)? > That much seems clear from the decodeUISelectBoolean method.

> > > posted. > I > didn't > have time to prove that. You can prove it yourself
> > > with a > simple > test. > Just add a break point in >
> > > HtmlRendererUtils:decodeUISelectBoolean > method. > Then start with the
>
> > > debugger. When you hit the breakpoint take a > look at > the param map
and >
> > > see if the values for those checkboxes are being > > submitted. sean
> I >
> > > don't think this is the problem now. > What you > > described was
a previous
> So,
> >
> > > Furthermore, > if this were the case, the checkbox from tab 1 would >
reset
> > > dataTable to > see if we > have the same > behaviour, or if it's related
> > > Sean > Schofield wrote: > > > Sylvain, I figured out your problem.
Its a
> > > combination > of the checkbox > and > > the panel tab together.
The
> > > datatable is not the > problem. The > default > > behavior for
the checkbox
> > > is to *reset* the value > of the > checkbox during the > > decode
phase.
> > > (See > > HtmlRendererUtils:decodeUISelectBoolean.) This makes > >
sense
> > > because HTML > > standard will not submit "false" values for unchecked
> >
> > > checkboxes. So > > unless the checkbox is disabled, faces assumes that
it >
> > > is > unchecked and > > rechecks it every time its posted (as long
as the
> > > value is > > submitted > as > true.) IMO this is desirable (and
I believe
> > > probably part of > > the > spec.) > As I mentioned your example
works fine
> > > if you press the "common > > > submit > button" on the tab (checkbox
with
> > > true stays checked after the > > > post.) > The problem starts
once you
> > > click on another tab. I didn't have > > > time to > investigate
the
> > > specifics but I think I have discovered the > > basic > > problem.
You
> > > checkbox value does not get posted when you click on > one > of >
> the
> > > other tabs. Even if it does get posted, it is posted to a > > request
> >
> > > scope bean. Say you go from tab 3 to tab 1. On tab 1 your > > sample
> >
> > > checkboxes are not rendered so when you click back to tab 3, you > >
are
> > > *not* > > posting any values for them. Because the decode is resetting
> the
The >
> > > other > checkboxes > > are ok because they are common to all 3 tabs
so they
I will try