myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Vieujot <svieu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: Another bug in h:selectBooleanCheckbox while embeded in a x:dataTable
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:43:22 GMT
Hello Sean,

I think we have two different problem here :

1- The one you describe, that is you check the checkbox on tab1, then
select tab2 and hit the submit button.
I don't think this is a bug. It's just that the checkbox has a request
scope.
So, when you submit, you set the submitted value to the checkbox backend
bean, but then you end the request, and instenciate a new bean, as
you're redirected to the same page.
If you set the scope of the bean to session in the examples-config.xml
file, then the bean is retained, and you still see the value after the
submit.
    <managed-bean>
        <managed-bean-name>testCheckBox</managed-bean-name>
        <managed-bean-
class>org.apache.myfaces.examples.misc.TestCheckBox</managed-bean-class>
        <managed-bean-scope>session</managed-bean-scope>
    </managed-bean>
So, I don't see any bug here.
As Martin said, they used to be a bug for similar cases a few weeks ago,
but it's fixed now.
To fully answer your question, indeed, if a checkbox's value is expected
(that is the component is rendered), and isn't submitted, then the
checkbox's value will be set to false.
But if the component isn't rendered, it isn't decoded, and so it isn't
reset.

2 - The second problem is that if you put some components inside a
dataTable, and select another tab, then that component's submitted value
is lost.
This is what we have we the 3 checkboxes & inputText on tab3.
Martin suggested :

        the preserve data model does only work if the component is
        rendered -
        in this case it is not, as you are tabbing away to the other
        tab...

I will try to check that, but this might indeed be the explanation.
He also suggested using the saveState instead, but this can't be the
solution to our problem, as saveState saves only the backing bean's
value, and not the still un-applied values that are kept in the
component.
So, in this case, we really have a bug, or at least, an unexpected
behavior.

Sylvain.

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 12:46 -0500, Sean Schofield wrote:

> Sylvain,
>
> Do you agree with my explanation of the problem?  If the values are
> not submitted then your checkbox is going to always be false when
> you're done decoding.
>
> That's interesting that all of the values are submitted when you press
> the common submit button.  I wouldn't have expected that.  (I mean I
> expect that as a user but not as a developer who knows about the tab
> problem.)
>
> sean
>

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:41:14 -0400, Sylvain Vieujot <svieujot@apache.org> wrote:
> >  No, no validation problem.
> >
> >  If you just click another tab, the values aren't submitted to the backing
> > bean.
> >  The values are submitted to the backing bean only when the commandButton is
> > clicked.
> >
> >  Sylvain.
> >

> >  On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 12:14 +0100, Martin Marinschek wrote:
> >  ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Martin Marinschek
> > <martin.marinschek@gmail.com> Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:14:25 +0100 Subject:
> > Re: Another bug in h:selectBooleanCheckbox while embeded in a x:dataTable
> > To: Sylvain Vieujot <svieujot@apache.org> Why are the values not submitted?
> > is there a validation error? If there is no validation error, the values
> > ought to be submitted to the backing bean, this is how all the other fields
> > of the tabbed panel work... regards, Martin On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:06:19
> > -0400, Sylvain Vieujot <svieujot@apache.org> wrote: > Hello Martin, >
> > checked with adding an x:saveState statement, but it doesn't work better, >
> > and I think this is normal. > Indeed, saveState saves the value of the
> > backing bean, and as we are > dealing with submitted values (that haven't
> > been applied to the backing bean > yet), the submitted values aren't saved.
> > > model if the component has been rendered once in the previous requests ? >
> > Like introducing on the fly a component at the root of the view that would >
> > be in charge of preserving the data model ? > > Thanks, > > Sylvain.
> > >
> > On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 21:24 +0100, Martin Marinschek wrote: > yes, that is
> > wrong... the preserve data model does only work if the > component is
> > rendered - in this case it is not, as you are tabbing away to > the other
> > tab... try it with an x:saveState statement... regards, Martin On > Sat, 12
> > Feb 2005 15:28:07 -0400, Sylvain Vieujot <svieujot@apache.org> > wrote:
>
> > Hello Martin, > > No, I didn't include any x:saveState. > I thought >
the
> > preserveDataModel would do that. > Am I wrong ? > > Sylvain > > >
On > Sat,
> > 2005-02-12 at 19:20 +0100, Martin Marinschek wrote: > you need to save > the
> > state of the checkboxes - do you do that? do you have > an x:saveState > tag
> > on the top of the jsp? I don't know, I can't check the > cvs right now, >
> > but if not, you need to save the state of your managed > bean... regards, >
> > Martin On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:07:22 -0400, Sylvain Vieujot > >
> > <svieujot@apache.org> wrote: > Hello Sean, > > I agree that checkboxes
are >
> > > being reset on decode as long as no value is > posted, BUT only the childs
> >
> > components of un-selected tabs as they aren't decoded. > > Plus, in the >
>
> > examples webapp, on the first tab, the "A checkbox" checkbox > is rendered >
> > > only on that tab, and isn't common to all tabs. > > Also, I just committed
> > a > > change to the webapp that shows that the problem > isn't specific
to >
> > > checkboxes. > In the dataTable, tab3, you now also have texts next to the
> > On Sat, >
> > > 2005-02-12 at 10:51 -0500, Sean Schofield wrote: > Sylvain, The other >
>
> > checkboxes aren't reset because they are on every tab. > They are always >
>
> > being resubmitted. Would you agree that the checkboxes are > being reset on
> > disabled)? > That much seems clear from the decodeUISelectBoolean method. >
> > > The only > thing I can't be sure of is that the values aren't being
> > posted. > I > didn't > have time to prove that. You can prove it yourself
> > with a > simple > test. > Just add a break point in >
> > HtmlRendererUtils:decodeUISelectBoolean > method. > Then start with the >
> > debugger. When you hit the breakpoint take a > look at > the param map and
>
> > see if the values for those checkboxes are being > > submitted. sean >
I >