myfaces-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A few more suggestions
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:21:00 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Sean Schofield wrote:

> I have a few more suggestions for the MyFaces development team:
>
> #1) Consider moving from CVS to Subversion (SVN) when its time to
> leave the incubator.  Apache has both types of repositories available.
> Struts just recently moved to SVN and people like it.  I'm not
> totally familiar with advantages vs. disadvantages but it seems to be
> a lot more flexible.  If this is something we'd consider than it would
> be best to do it at the same time as MyFaces leaves the incubator.

I would strongly encourage this. Apart from the fact that all of the ASF
repositories will eventually be required to move from CVS to SVN, SVN
really does have some excellent advantages. The two biggest, in my
experience, are atomic commits (meaning that all changes within one commit
are handled as a single transaction) and ease of refactoring. From an
infrastructure perspective, using moving to SVN means that individual Unix
accounts for every committer are no longer required.

> #2) Regardless of whether we use SVN or CVS, it would be nice to email
> the developer's list when users check in.  This is a standard practice
> with other Apache projects and helps developers keep track of changes
> to the codebase.

Yep. Not sure why this isn't happening already.

--
Martin Cooper