mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Mu <zm2...@columbia.edu>
Subject Re: RE: RE: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc0
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2020 19:33:02 GMT
It happens only on CPU, and I did more runs and found that the runtime fluctuates very badly,
but the average regression is ~10%.

Through the previous benchmarks I also found some worse regression comparing 1.6 to 1.5 like
inception inference on CPU and those regression was not caught.

My 2-cent is it might not be a blocker for the release, and we can have room for improvement
for upcoming 2.0 and 1.7.1 if necessary

Ziyi

On 2020/07/13 08:40:32, "Chen, Ciyong" <ciyong.chen@intel.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ziyi,
>
> May I know which platform did you notice the performance regression, CPU or GPU? ~20%
regression would be a large gap.

> Thanks,
> -Ciyong

Yolov3 with Module API, so we are going to discuss tomorrow if that would be an issue for
1.7.

then the behavior is same as 1.6.0 with the cases in the gist (https://gist.github.com/sxjscience/944066c82e566f1b89b01fa226678890).

> > Considering there's many end-users using Gluon based API/models, and introducing
a new patch to fix this issue could be risky, so I agree that reverting this PR (#18358) might
be the best option for the 1.7.0 release.
> > But I'm considering is there any other test cases to cover this feature, which could
be helpful to track this kind of code changes in future, or can you help to verify if this
revert do resolve the broken issue at your side?

> > > Thus, the real issue is: Should we supporting pickling a Gluon Block? If not,
should we support combining multiprocessing.pool with the Gluon Block?
> > Seems it's more like a new feature for MXNet Gluon Block, probably we can make it
available in the next patch/minor release?

> > Thanks,
> > -Ciyong

would like to share my finding:

> > Basically, I don't think Gluon Block is designed to be pickleble. But pickling do
work for some cases in the old version:

> > I've included two cases in the gist (https://gist.github.com/sxjscience/944066c82e566f1b89b01fa226678890).
> >
> > - Case1: we construct a gluon block, hybridize it and feed one NDArray to help initialize
the block. After that, it will no longer be pickleble.
> > - Case2: we just construct a gluon block and it will be pickleble in 1.6.0, but
won't be pickleble in 1.7.0.

> > Thus, the real issue is: Should we supporting pickling a Gluon Block? If not, should
we support combining multiprocessing.pool with the Gluon Block? For reference, PyTorch supports
pickling the nn.Module as shown in: https://gist.github.com/sxjscience/90b812a66d445e759c55eedc3ef93668
and also in the doc (https://pytorch.org/tutorials/beginner/saving_loading_models.html).

> > Best,
> > Xingjian
> >

> > ´╗┐On 7/10/20, 11:31 AM, "Patrick Mu" <zm2263@columbia.edu> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Ciyong,
> >
> >     I just discovered an issue with the 1.7, which causes the Yolo training with
latest Gluon CV Yolo to fail.

> >     The PR that causes the failure is https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/18358,
which modifies  basic blocks of Gluon to fix a memory leak issue.

> >     Talked with Leonard, the author of the PR, and he said he found the root cause,
but patching that PR would modifies those Gluon basic blocks further, which might be risky
towards existing models and various customer models.

> >     So my 2-cents is reverting this PR in 1.7, and try patching the PR in 1.x and
2.0, meaning that the 1.7 won't have memory usage optimized by that feature.

> >     I'd like to hear what you think about this issue.
> >
> >     Thanks,
> >     Ziyi
> >

> >     On 2020/07/10 06:18:02, "Chen, Ciyong" <ciyong.chen@intel.com> wrote:

> >     > Hi Community,
> >     >
> >     > I would like to call for action to test/validate/vote for the release candidate
(1.7.0.rc0)
> >     > As there's not any voting result during the scheduled time window, I would
like to extend the time windows to July 13, 23:59:59 PST.
> >     > Please prepare your time and provide feedback if you've tried with the
pre-release code bases, thanks!
Jason Dai <jasondai@apache.org>; Markus Weimer <weimer@apache.org>; Michael Wall
<mjwall@apache.org>
> >     > Subject: RE: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc0
> >     >
> >     > For the language bindings and windows platform, may I have your support
to help verify these features? Thanks!
> >     >
> >     > @lanking520 to help verify the Scala/Java @gigasquid to help verify the
Clojure
> >     > @hetong007 to help verify the R
> >     > @yajiedesign to help verify the windows platform
> >     >
> >     > Best regards,
> >     > Ciyong Chen
> >     >
will start July 6, 23:59:59 PST and close on July 9, 23:59:59 PST.
> >     >
> >     > Link to release notes:
> >     > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/1.7.0+Release+notes
> >     >
> >     > Link to release candidate:
> >     > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.7.0.rc0
> >     >
> >     > Link to source and signatures on apache dist server:
> >     > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/1.7.0.rc0<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/1.7.0.rc0/>
> >     >
> >     > Please remember to TEST first before voting accordingly:
> >     > +1 = approve
> >     > +0 = no opinion
> >     > -1 = disapprove (provide reason)
> >     >
> >     > Additional notes:
> >     >
> >     >   *   There was an issue and discussion[1] regarding on a few numpy operators
failed due to numpy 1.19.0 released on Jun 20, 2020, which exists in all branches (works with
numpy <= 1.18.5). As numpy operator is still an experimental feature in 1.7.0 release and
mainly targeting in MXNet 2.0 release, so I decided to not block the voting and instead let
the Community decide whether this is a blocker for the release.