mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Mu <zm2...@columbia.edu>
Subject Re: RE: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc0
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2020 18:31:27 GMT
Hi Ciyong,

I just discovered an issue with the 1.7, which causes the Yolo training with latest Gluon
CV Yolo to fail.

The PR that causes the failure is https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/18358, which
modifies  basic blocks of Gluon to fix a memory leak issue.

Talked with Leonard, the author of the PR, and he said he found the root cause, but patching
that PR would modifies those Gluon basic blocks further, which might be risky towards existing
models and various customer models.

So my 2-cents is reverting this PR in 1.7, and try patching the PR in 1.x and 2.0, meaning
that the 1.7 won't have memory usage optimized by that feature.

I'd like to hear what you think about this issue.

Thanks,
Ziyi

On 2020/07/10 06:18:02, "Chen, Ciyong" <ciyong.chen@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Community,
>
> I would like to call for action to test/validate/vote for the release candidate (1.7.0.rc0)
> As there's not any voting result during the scheduled time window, I would like to extend
the time windows to July 13, 23:59:59 PST.

Dai <jasondai@apache.org>; Markus Weimer <weimer@apache.org>; Michael Wall <mjwall@apache.org>
> Subject: RE: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.7.0.rc0
>
> For the language bindings and windows platform, may I have your support to help verify
these features? Thanks!

> @lanking520 to help verify the Scala/Java @gigasquid to help verify the Clojure
> @hetong007 to help verify the R
> @yajiedesign to help verify the windows platform
>
> Best regards,
> Ciyong Chen

July 6, 23:59:59 PST and close on July 9, 23:59:59 PST.

> Link to release notes:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/1.7.0+Release+notes
>
> Link to release candidate:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.7.0.rc0
>
> Link to source and signatures on apache dist server:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/1.7.0.rc0<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/1.7.0.rc0/>
>
> Please remember to TEST first before voting accordingly:
> +1 = approve
> +0 = no opinion
> -1 = disapprove (provide reason)
>
> Additional notes:
>
>   *   There was an issue and discussion[1] regarding on a few numpy operators failed
due to numpy 1.19.0 released on Jun 20, 2020, which exists in all branches (works with numpy
<= 1.18.5). As numpy operator is still an experimental feature in 1.7.0 release and mainly
targeting in MXNet 2.0 release, so I decided to not block the voting and instead let the Community
decide whether this is a blocker for the release.