mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Marco de Abreu <marcoab...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CI] Staggered build pipelines enabled
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2020 23:19:51 GMT
Hello,

I'd like to revisit this decision and review whether the expected benefit
(cost reduction) was achieved and how the overall PR validation duration
has changed. Could you guys share some information on this matter?

Just today, we've had two incidents which were caused by this change:

1. This PR was merged prematurely because the follow up pipelines didn't
run (whether it's a timing issue or something else I don't know). We've
always had the policy of not enforcing protected feature branches and this
pipeline is causing human errors.

2. The sanity check, which got into the critical path here, starts running
into timeouts. I'm aware that this is in case of cache misses, but none the
less does that heavily increase the waiting duration since developers now
have to wait for two entire cache build cycles instead of just one:

I understand that money has to be conserved, but I still stand by my
opinion that this was the wrong move and development speed was sacrificed.

If there are no other compelling arguments, I'd prefer if the previous
state of parallel pipelines could be restored.

Best regards
Marco

sandeep krishnamurthy <sandeep.krishna98@gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 28.
Apr. 2020, 07:55: