mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Sheng Zha <zhash...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Deprecating and Forbidding Terraform and Other Services by HashiCorp in MXNet
Date Sun, 31 May 2020 03:08:17 GMT
Dear community,

Yesterday, HashiCorp added to their terms of evaluation the clause that forbids usage of the
enterprise version of any HashiCorp software in the People's Republic of China [1]. While
this does not affect the usage of the community version, it does signal the potential legal
risk to many of our community members in China. In light of this recent development, I'm initiating
discussion on deprecating the usage of HashiCorp software and services and forbidding their
usage in MXNet infrastructure until situation changes.

I believe that the community cannot be traded for the technological convenience. Currently,
we have part of our CI and GitHub labeling robot bootstrapping logic that relies on Terraform,
a service provided by HashiCorp [2]. Since all its usage that I found are for bootstrapping
on AWS, replacing them with CloudFormation is feasible and likely straightforward.

Your input is appreciated.

Regards,
Sheng

[1] https://www.hashicorp.com/terms-of-evaluation