mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From "Lausen, Leonard" <lau...@amazon.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Severe legal issues with releases on repository.apache.org
Date Tue, 12 May 2020 21:46:52 GMT
On Tue, 2020-05-12 at 13:05 -0700, Zach Kimberg wrote:
> I would also like to ask how we use libgfortran? Since it is category X, we
> should not be depending on it for any of the core functionality in MXNet.
> It can only have an "optional feature" (
> https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional) at most. Furthermore,
> libgfortran seems to be under the full GPL (
> https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/master/libgfortran/libgfortran.h)
> instead of the LGPL, so I don't know if we are even allowed to even have it
> as an optional dependency.

OpenBLAS's LAPACK implementation relies on a Fortran compiler.
https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS#dependencies The binaries on
repository.apache.org are of the MXNet OpenBLAS variant.
gfortran is typically the default choice for Fortran compiler.

Two options if we like to distribute official ASF convenience binaries:

1) We can build OpenBLAS without LAPACK, though the operators relying on
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/master/src/operator/c_lapack_api.h
are unavailable in such build.

2) Investigate recent LLVM based Fortran compilers, though as far as I
understand they are not yet production ready:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=LLVM-Lands-FLANG-F18-Finally
Maybe there are other alternatives.

Best regards
Leonard