mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Markham <aaron.s.mark...@gmail.com>
Subject site speed and content translation
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2020 16:05:33 GMT
Hi MXNet community!

I recently looked through stats for Q1 and compared them to previous
quarters. I also checked out some of the insights. Here's what I found:

MXNet traffic was relatively flat with a 0.24% gain in users QoQ, but a
slight decline of users of -2.36% month over month. However, there was a
noticeable decline in traffic from Asian language users, in particular
Chinese (-17%), Japanese (-7%), Korean (-18%), and Taiwanese (-19%),
meanwhile English was up around 10%.

Google’s insights mention that the website loads much slower in China than
everywhere else with an average of 19 seconds. This will frustrate many
customers and it would be worth investigating CDN options for the website.
This is all the more important because *China is the number one country
using the MXNet website*.

So I have two suggestions:

1. Localize the site for Chinese customers
2. Get some CDN or better mirror for Chinese customers so page load time
isn't so horrible

For (1), I was involved a long while back on a loc project for MXNet, but
that sputtered out for reasons not worth getting into, but suffice to say,
it can be a bit complicated. Scoping out what to translate is key. My
suggestion is to translate just the main site, the Python guides, html
versions of notebooks, but not the API reference, and not any other
language APIs.

For (2), IDK. Ask Apache Infra about it? AWS is bound to have an option
here too.

Cheers,
Aaron