mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From "Davydenko, Denis" <dzianis.davydze...@gmail.com>
Subject Update on upcoming changes to the MXNet CI: Jenkins
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2020 18:12:07 GMT
Hello, MXNet dev community,
As you all know, the experience with CI infrastructure isn’t ideal in spite of its high
cost. For this reason, we’re proposing the following changes to improve stability, reduce
cost, and grant more control to contributors. As we work in a refresh of CI, we believe these
changes will reduce the pain we all suffer when we try to push a PR through the system.

Following is the list of changes:
Fix missing status reports between GH and Jenkins
Update Jenkins permission groups to re-trigger builds
Introduce per-PR CI bot
Details:

- Fix missing status reports
Currently, once commit gets added to PR - the CI is run on that added commit. Sometimes, CI
run status is missing from the commit in Github despite having completed in Jenkins. Example:
CI run: http://jenkins.mxnet-ci.amazon-ml.com/blue/organizations/jenkins/mxnet-validation%2Funix-cpu/detail/PR-17376/17/pipeline,
commit status in github (missing unix-cpu, unix-gpu and windows-gpu statuses): https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/17376#partial-pull-merging.
Problem: There seems to be a bug where some status reports are missing on Github. The hypothesis
is that there is some issue with Github Hooks.

- Update Jenkins permission groups to re-trigger builds
Problem: Currently, only MXNet Committers and selected people from AWS have the ability to
re-trigger CI runs on PRs. This leaves the PR Authors waiting for authorized users to re-trigger
their PRs for them.
Solution : Allow these membership categories Jenkins Admins, MXNet Committers, and PR Authors
to re-trigger PR builds.

- Introduce per-PR CI bot
Problem: As of date, MXNet CI is automated. It runs every time a commit is pushed onto your
Github PR. This results in lot of unnecessary CI runs apart from added costs.
Solution: Switch to Manual Trigger. Users from authorized groups (1 of the 3 categories mentioned
above) can trigger CI run by adding a simple comment to PR: “[mxnet-ci] run”.

--
Thank you,

AWS MXNet team