mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From "Lausen, Leonard" <lau...@amazon.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Can upgrade windows CI cmake?
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2019 03:26:39 GMT
Currently we declare cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.0.2)

I'm in favor of updating our CMake requirement. The main question may be what
new version to pick as minimum requirement.

In general, there is the guideline

> You really should at least use a version of CMake that came out after your
> compiler, since it needs to know compiler flags, etc, for that version. And,
> since CMake will dumb itself down to the minimum required version in your
> CMake file, installing a new CMake, even system wide, is pretty safe. You
> should at least install it locally. It's easy (1-2 lines in many cases), and
> you'll find that 5 minutes of work will save you hundreds of lines and hours
> of CMakeLists.txt writing, and will be much easier to maintain in the long
> run.
https://cliutils.gitlab.io/modern-cmake/

https://cliutils.gitlab.io/modern-cmake/chapters/intro/newcmake.html gives a
short overview of all the improvements made to CMake over the past 6 years.

It's easy for users to upgrade their cmake version with pip:
  pip install --upgrade --user cmake
Thus it wouldn't be overly problematic to rely on a very recent version of
cmake, if indeed it's required.

Nevertheless, if an earlier version fixes the problems, let's rather pick that
one. Did you confirm which version is required to fix the problem?

For now you could try if the CMake version shipped in the oldest supported
Ubuntu LTS release (Ubuntu 16.04) is fixing your problem (CMake 3.5)? If not,
please test if CMake version shipped in Ubuntu 18.04 (CMake 3.10) fixes your
issue.

Thanks
Leonard