mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas DELTEIL <thomas.delte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: new website, docs code freeze
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2019 11:48:58 GMT
Update on the website:

Highlights:
- Broken links: a good amount of them have been fixed in this #16284
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/16284>, tutorials have been
reorganized (not yet deployed because of CI). A new 404 with quick links
has been added and deployed in #16287
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/16287>
- Broken Search: Search has been fixed in #16284
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/16284> and merged but not
deployed yet.
- Google index issues: new website seems to be indexed now, in this google
search: "MXNet NDArray" <https://www.google.com/search?q=mxnet+ndarray> new
website is the top result. Redirects for old links to new ones have been
added to the .htaccess, thanks Soji for the help! #16342
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/16342> is still waiting to
be merged but a manual update to the website has been done in the meanwhile.
- Automated analysis from google lighthouse scoring, compared to the old
website: Performance saw a > ~100% improvement, SEO saw a ~25% improvement,
and best practices improved by ~19%. Thanks Russell D. for running the
analysis.

Remaining
- *[high priority]* API docs are still missing some classes / packages /
methods. ETA for fix is EOW, root cause has been identified, we are still
deciding what's the best way forward for good discoverability as well as
good coverage and maintainability.
- Adding quick links to directly access Python API docs on homepage.

All the best,

Thomas Delteil

Le mar. 24 sept. 2019 à 19:15, Thomas DELTEIL <thomas.delteil1@gmail.com> a
écrit :

> @Philip Yes we're looking at link redirects for older links that might be
> hosted externally (using htaccess is my preferred way to handle it for now
> as you sugested) and we'll use a broken link checker to update the links
> that are hosted internally. We'll update the 404 to add an explanation on
> the website update. Google indexes will slowly update across the week so
> the google search issues will be less of a problem.
>
> If you find any such links yourself, or missing tutorials, please consider
> stepping up and helping fixing them. The more people get familiar with the
> new website architecture, the least likely it is to fall in a state of
> stalled updates like the previous one.
>
> For the sphinx issues in the python mini-website, missing API classes, if
> anybody is familiar with it, I'd love for us to bring back the automatic
> doc generation for each package so at least we have a list of all available
> classes in each sub package rather than relying on manual insertion of each
> class, which is brittle and not future proof. @Lin, Haibin
> <haibilin@amazon.com> if you have experience with it, could we sync up
> offline on how you suggest to do that based on your gluon-nlp experience?
>
> @Marco, I'm currently traveling for ICDAR in Sydney, and Aaron is on PTO
> in Europe, I'll try make time today to help with the fixes since it is
> impacting a lot of users.
>
> In the meanwhile, any help is appreciated, and more than the value of the
> fixes, let me repeat that there is tremendous value in having more people
> familiar with the website build pipelines. Aaron is the main owner for the
> docs but he is already super busy with all his other responsibilities. I'm
> available to help if anybody is stuck. I believe Aaron has updated the
> READMEs on how to test the websites locally, if they're not clear, feel
> free to contribute your own explanations or ask for help directly to me by
> email or on the discuss forum.
>
> Good hunting!
>
> Thomas
>

> Le mer. 25 sept. 2019 à 10:10, Marco de Abreu <marco.g.abreu@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>
>> Good catch, Mu! Also good idea, Philip!
>>
>> Aaron and Thomas, are you going to work on this?
>>
>> -Marco
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 1:28 AM Mu Li <muli.cmu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > The questions I found are:
>> >
>> > 1. Not ever page contains, especially the homepage
>> >

>> http://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/api/python/docs/_static/google_analytics.js
>> > 2. The correct tracking id is UA-96378503-1 instead of UA-96378503-11 in
>> >

>> http://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/api/python/docs/_static/google_analytics.js

>> new

>> marco.g.abreu@gmail.com>

Shall we
>> add
>> > it

>> > features,
>> before
>> > conflicts
>> of

disentangle the
>> main
>> and
>> basic
>> jobs

>> if
>> > the
>> level
>> > of

>> list
>> > of
improve the
>> logical
>> > manually
>> > some.
>> which
>> that
>> docs
not been migrated
disabled for now
>> > yet.
>> description
>> > and
docs, but this is
>> > just

>> that
>> > >>> > > >

>> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/gpu-accelerated-applications/

>> > "Ubuntu
>> points

>> dangling

week, but they
>> are
>> > all

go through.
>> > Re-sending:

>> > production.

>> > that
Is this
>> expected?
>> the
(Searching. ->
me an impression
>> that

Bapat <

on the landing
>> page.
without search button
Only when I go to
I got what I wanted).

and pop FAQ on the
>> main

Trędak <

with (at least Python, did
>> > not
>> > >>> > > > > > > >

>> > https://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/api/python/docs/api/symbol/_autogen

method for argmax (with
to the same website
>> (and
>> > so
actual operator).

Symbol from the URL to
>> > get
I got a "Not found"
>> webpage
the fact that this should
should redirect to the

Yuan <apeforest@gmail.com

you Aaron and many others for

7:31 AM Carin Meier <

at 10:28 AM Aaron Markham <

new site is launched. You might
>> need

2019 at 3:33 PM Aaron Markham <

The PRs passed CI, but please
CI edits. Unless there are any
>> > objections,
website today.

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:46 AM Aaron Markham
>> <

everyone,
last two PRs [1][2] for the new website
>> and
Please do not make changes to
>> /docs
>> > or
approved and merged. Every time
>> there's a
us back a day or two while shepherding
>> the
there are catastrophic issues
>> discovered
that we hold any patches or
>> updates

are four steps to launch:
Once the PRs are approved, the plan is to
content first.
Then immediately merge 15883 to add in
>> the
>> > new
the content Thomas and I have already had
in
I will change the website validation
>> Jenkins
new pipeline.