mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Leonard Lausen <leon...@lausen.nl>
Subject Re: [Discuss] MXNet Python < 3.6 Support Deprecation
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2019 08:26:48 GMT
Lieven Govaerts <lgo@apache.org> writes:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 at 17:01, Leonard Lausen <leonard@lausen.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Pedro stated "Seems 3.6 is a reasonable choice." and there have been a
>> few +1 after Chaitanya's reply to Pedro. I would like to check if these
>> only refer to Chaitanya's mail about a dedicated "improvement" effort or
>> about dropping 3.5.
>>
>> Thus two questions:
>>
>> 1) Are there any concerns about dropping Python 3.5? Now is your chance to
>> speak up if you think so.
>>

> Ubuntu 16.04 LTS defaults to Python 3.5.x . The LTS releases are supported
> for 5 years, so for 16.04 LTS it ends in 1.5 years.
>
> I'm not saying you should wait for 1.5 more years, people can upgrade to
> 18.04 LTS after all, but may I suggest you make this switch in a major
> release only? More specifically, ensure that Python 3.6-only code doesn't
> accidentally gets merged into a 1.5.X patch release.
>
> thanks,
>
> Lieven

Hi Lieven,

thanks. I believe the Python version compatibility falls under the
semantic versioning umbrella of things not to break within any 1.x
release. Thus above suggestion would be with respect to a 2.x release or
experimental / preview / new features added to 1.x, without affecting
existing 1.x features. It would not affect 1.5.x patch releases.

Best regards,
Leonard