mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Naveen Swamy <mnnav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] MXNet operator benchmark library
Date Mon, 13 May 2019 20:19:43 GMT
Sandeep,

Thanks for initiating work on individual operator performance. However I
find the proposed approach(ie., a separate libary/framework) to unnecessary
and increases maintenance overhead for the project.
Also, have you considered alternate approaches to achieve the same goal.?

Many of the requirements/motivations you have mentioned typically should be
covered in unit-tests(different data-types/ different dimensions), so
instead of having to rewrite for all operators measuring performance,
consider writing a @timeit routine(using Python decorators) which can be
called on individual unit tests.  Also even if you call the performance
script from Python, typically you want to measure as close to the kernel as
possible and avoid any other variables.

I left some comments on the doc itself.

Happy to discuss further.

-Naveen