mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From "Lv, Tao A" <tao.a...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [RFC] Support for creation of Large Tensors in MXNet
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2019 02:52:37 GMT
Thank you for bringing this topic to dev, Rohit.

Regarding large tensor, can you articulate:
- what's the max size of dimensionality? Which data type is used to define dimensionality
(ndims)?
- what's the max size of each dimension? Which data type is used to define dimension size
(shape[x])?
- what's the max size of total elements? Which data type is used to define element size (Prod(shape))?

For me, any of these three can be *large*.

-----Original Message-----
From: Srivastava, Rohit Kumar [mailto:srivastava.141@buckeyemail.osu.edu]
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2019 7:33 AM
To: dev@mxnet.incubator.apache.org
Subject: [RFC] Support for creation of Large Tensors in MXNet

Dear Community,

Currently MXNet supports creation of Tensors containing up to 2^32 elements. However there
are cases where tensors of size over 5 billion is required

We plan to support creation of large tensors on MXNet. A design proposal is ready for review:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Large+Tensor+Support

We will appreciate any help and feedbacks from the community.

Thank you!

Rohit