mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Markham <aaron.s.mark...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Rebrand Gluon to MXNet imperative or something MXNet.
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2019 22:30:52 GMT
I am disappointed when I see articles that use Gluon, but don't mention
MXNet [1]. If MSFT or anyone had actually run with it and made Gluon an
interface for another framework, this would be a different matter. There
are more references to Gluon without MXNet [2] than there are to Gluon with
MXNet [3].

Of course anyone can build something on MXNet and name it what they want
and decide not to mention MXNet. It's what makes for a great open source
project. But, if Gluon gets so much highlighting in the project and on the
MXNet website, then it impacts the project's "brand".

When people have a CV or NLP need it would be great if they thought about
MXNet to solve this. I think it's important to keep the project's name in
the mix. People will abbreviate and settle on a term, and maybe one day
that'll be Gluon. But let's focus and be flexible for future contributions.
This is a long-winded way to say we can't rebrand someone's outside project
(like GluonCV), but if they'd like to contribute it to the project, we may
rebrand it to prevent confusion and improve awareness of the MXNet project.
Aside from that, anything already in the project, like the Python Gluon
API, should have MXNet in the name.

Would it be fair to say (and get confirmation from Apache) that we (the
community) can use companion terms with MXNet for the products of our
collaboration?
For example, a modifier like MXNetDoodles would not be okay as it impinges
the trademark directly. But these might be fine:
* MXNet Gluon
* MXNet CV (notice the space, not MXNetCV)
* MXNet NLP
* MXNet GluonCV
I would personally like to see more "use case" toolkits, so it's less of a
mouthful. Saying MXNet CV is easier than MXNet GluonCV, and it's less
confusing. You can say "MXNet CV with Gluon", and it is clear in its
function and its domain. So what if the "rebrand" is using descriptors like
"with" or "in"?
MXNet in Gluon. MXNet Python in imperative Gluon. That's a mouthful too,
but at least the reader can tell what's going and what it might be.

Whatever the case may be, +1 to asking that MXNet always be mentioned with
Gluon, to the point of making the term be MXNet Gluon. (Or some variant
thereof that I just described.)

[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1812.01187.pdf
[2]
https://www.google.com/search?q=deep+learning+gluon+-mxnet+-physics&oq=deep+learning+gluon+-mxnet+-physics