mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Ankit Khedia <khedia.an...@gmail.com>
Subject Gluon fit API- Design proposal
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2019 21:51:14 GMT
Hello dev@,

Training a model in Gluon requires users to write the training loop, this is useful because
of its imperative nature, however repeating the same code across multiple models can become
tedious and repetitive with boilerplate code. The training loop can also be overwhelming to
some users new to deep learning. Users have asked in [1] for a simple Fit API, similar to
APIs available in SKLearn and Keras as a way to simplify model training and reduce boilerplate
code and complexity.

So, I along with other contributor Naveen and Lai came up with a fit API proposal in [2] that
covers 80% of the use-cases for beginners, the fit API does not replace the gluon training
loops. The API proposal is inspired by the Keras fit API. I have discussed and got feedback
from a few MXNet contributors (Sheng, Mu, Aston, Zhi) close by and I am writing to ask for
the community’s feedback on the API proposal.

 [1] https://discuss.mxnet.io/t/wrapping-gluon-into-scikit-learn-like-api/2112
 [2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Gluon+Fit+API+-+Tech+Design

Thanks,
Ankit