mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Lin Yuan <apefor...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Process to remove deprecated operators
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2019 04:52:59 GMT
Dear Community,

In MXNet there are many legacy operators such as this
<http://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/versions/master/api/python/symbol/symbol.html?highlight=convolution_v1#mxnet.symbol.Convolution_v1>
that has been marked DEPRECATE for several releases. However, these
operators still exist in our code. This caused a few problems:

1) Make the codebase bloated and reduce readability
2) Increase unnecessary maintanence effort
3) Bug prone as some people will look up these legacy code as example
4) Cause confusion to end users and make documentation page lengthy

I would like to propose the following process (if there is no existing one)
to remove deprecate operators from our code base.

1. Documnent the deprecate operators/environment variables in the release
note as well as man pages.
2. Limit the life cycle of deprecate operators/argument to two minor
release. For example, if one operator is marked deprecate in 1.4 release,
it will be removed in 1.6 release.
3. If there is some concern raised from customers during 1.4 and 1.5
release, we can convert the deprecated operator back to current and it will
be treated as new operator.
4. PRs that remove deprecate operators should contain [Cleanup] in title.

Any comment is appreciated.

Lin