mxnet-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Steffen Rochel <steffenroc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Announce] Upcoming Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.4.0 release
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2018 23:33:05 GMT
Hi Jake - please go ahead and PR for v1.4.x branch.
Steffen

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:21 PM Jake Lee <gstu1130@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Steffen,
>
> It would be nice to add this PR to 1.4 release.
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/13550
>
> It fixes the imagedetiter issue for mxnet 1.3
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/13037.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jake Lee
>
> Lin Yuan <apeforest@gmail.com> 於 2018年11月29日 週四 下午7:27寫道:
>
> > Hi Steffen,
> >
> > Can we add the following PR to 1.4.0 release:
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/13452
> >
> > It's just a Python API returning header path so it should not cause any
> > regression issues. But it is required for Horovod to integrate MXNet.
> It's
> > better to have this in a minor release than patch release.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Lin
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 6:46 PM Steffen Rochel <steffenrochel@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Zhi - thanks for the improvement, which we should consider for
> 1.4.0.
> > > However, I don't see any tests with the PR and think it is too risky to
> > add
> > > changes without tests. I will add your PR to the tracking list, but
> would
> > > like to ask you to add functional tests before completing the PR to
> > master
> > > and v1.4.x branch.
> > >
> > > Steffen
> > >
> > > On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 5:01 PM Joshua Z. Zhang <cheungchih@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hi, I would like to bring a critical performance and stability patch
> of
> > > > existing gluon dataloader to 1.4.0:
> > > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/13447 <
> > > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/13447>.
> > > >
> > > > This PR is finished, waiting for CI to pass.
> > > >
> > > > Steffen, could you help me add that to the tracked list?
> > > >
> > > > Best,
> > > > Zhi
> > > >
> > > > > On Nov 29, 2018, at 4:25 PM, Naveen Swamy <mnnaveen@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > the tests are randomly failing in different stages
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> http://jenkins.mxnet-ci.amazon-ml.com/blue/organizations/jenkins/incubator-mxnet/detail/PR-13105/
> > > > > This PR has failed 8 times so far
> > > > >
> > > > > On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 3:43 PM Steffen Rochel <
> > > steffenrochel@gmail.com>
> > > > > wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > >> Pedro - ok. Please add PR to v1.4.x branch after merge to master
> and
> > > > please
> > > > >> update tracking page
> > > > >> <
> > > > >>
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Apache+MXNet+%28incubating%29+1.4.0+Release+Plan+and+Status#ApacheMXNet(incubating)1.4.0ReleasePlanandStatus-OpenPRstotrack
> > > > >>>
> > > > >> .
> > > > >> Steffen
> > > > >>
> > > > >> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 3:00 PM Pedro Larroy <
> > > > pedro.larroy.lists@gmail.com
> > > > >>>
> > > > >> wrote:
> > > > >>
> > > > >>> PR is ready from my side and passes the tests, unless somebody
> > raises
> > > > >>> any concerns it's good to go.
> > > > >>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:50 PM Steffen Rochel <
> > > > steffenrochel@gmail.com>
> > > > >>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>
> > > > >>>> Pedro - added  to 1.4.0 tracking list
> > > > >>>> <
> > > > >>>
> > > > >>
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Apache+MXNet+%28incubating%29+1.4.0+Release+Plan+and+Status#ApacheMXNet(incubating)1.4.0ReleasePlanandStatus-OpenPRstotrack
> > > > >>>>
> > > > >>>>
> > > > >>>> Do you have already ETA?
> > > > >>>> Steffen
> > > > >>>>
> > > > >>>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 6:13 AM Pedro Larroy <
> > > > >>> pedro.larroy.lists@gmail.com>
> > > > >>>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>
> > > > >>>>> Hi all.
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>>> There are two important issues / fixes that should
go in the
> next
> > > > >>>>> release in my radar:
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>>> 1) https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/13409/files
> > > > >>>>> There is a bug in shape inference on CPU when not
using MKL,
> also
> > > we
> > > > >>>>> are running activation on CPU via MKL when we compile
> > CUDNN+MKLDNN.
> > > > >>>>> I'm finishing a fix for these issues in the above
PR.
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>>> 2) https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/13438
> > > > >>>>> We are seeing crashes due to unsafe setenv in multithreaded
> code.
> > > > >>>>> Setenv / getenv from multiple threads is not safe
and is
> causing
> > > > >>>>> segfaults. This piece of code (the handlers in pthread_atfork)
> > > > >> already
> > > > >>>>> caused a very difficult to diagnose hang in a previous
release,
> > > where
> > > > >>>>> a fork inside cudnn would deadlock the engine.
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>>> I would remove setenv from 2) as a mitigation, but
we would
> need
> > to
> > > > >>>>> check for regressions as we could be creating additional
> threads
> > > > >>>>> inside the engine.
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>>> I would suggest that we address these two major issues
before
> the
> > > > >> next
> > > > >>>>> release.
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>>> Pedro
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>>> On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 11:41 PM Steffen Rochel <
> > > > >>> steffenrochel@gmail.com>
> > > > >>>>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>> Dear MXNet community,
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>> I will be the release manager for the upcoming
Apache MXNet
> > 1.4.0
> > > > >>>>> release.
> > > > >>>>>> Sergey Kolychev will be co-managing the release
and providing
> > help
> > > > >>> from
> > > > >>>>> the
> > > > >>>>>> committers side.
> > > > >>>>>> A release candidate will be cut on November 29,
2018 and
> voting
> > > > >> will
> > > > >>>>> start
> > > > >>>>>> December 7, 2018. Release notes have been drafted
here [1]. If
> > you
> > > > >>> have
> > > > >>>>> any
> > > > >>>>>> additional features in progress and would like
to include it
> in
> > > > >> this
> > > > >>>>>> release, please assure they have been merged
by November 27,
> > 2018.
> > > > >>>>> Release
> > > > >>>>>> schedule is available here [2].
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>> Feel free to add any other comments/suggestions.
Please help
> to
> > > > >>> review
> > > > >>>>> and
> > > > >>>>>> merge outstanding PR's and resolve issues impacting
the
> quality
> > of
> > > > >>> the
> > > > >>>>>> 1.4.0 release.
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>> Regards,
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>> Steffen
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>> [1]
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>
> > > > >>
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Apache+MXNet+%28incubating%29+1.4.0+Release+Notes
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>> [2]
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>
> > > > >>
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Apache+MXNet+%28incubating%29+1.4.0+Release+Plan+and+Status
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 7:15 PM kellen sunderland
<
> > > > >>>>>> kellen.sunderland@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>> Spoke too soon[1], looks like others have
been adding Turing
> > > > >>> support as
> > > > >>>>>>> well (thanks to those helping with this).
 I believe there's
> > > > >> still
> > > > >>> a
> > > > >>>>> few
> > > > >>>>>>> changes we'd have to make to claim support
though (mshadow
> > CMake
> > > > >>>>> changes,
> > > > >>>>>>> PyPi package creation tweaks).
> > > > >>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>> 1:
> > > > >>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>
> > > > >>
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/commit/2c3357443ec3d49a11e93c89f278264ce10c2f08
> > > > >>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 7:00 PM kellen sunderland
<
> > > > >>>>>>> kellen.sunderland@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>> Hey Steffen, I'd like to be able to merge
this PR for
> version
> > > > >>> 1.4:
> > > > >>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/13310
. It
> > > > >> fixes
> > > > >>> a
> > > > >>>>>>>> regression in master which causes incorrect
feature vectors
> to
> > > > >> be
> > > > >>>>> output
> > > > >>>>>>>> when using the TensorRT feature.  (Thanks
to Nathalie for
> > > > >>> helping me
> > > > >>>>>>> track
> > > > >>>>>>>> down the root cause of the issue).  
I'm currently blocked
> on
> > a
> > > > >>> CI
> > > > >>>>> issue
> > > > >>>>>>> I
> > > > >>>>>>>> haven't seen before, but hope to have
it resolved by EOW.
> > > > >>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>> One call-out I would make is that we
currently don't support
> > > > >>> Turing
> > > > >>>>>>>> architecture (sm_75).  I've been slowly
trying to add
> support,
> > > > >>> but I
> > > > >>>>>>> don't
> > > > >>>>>>>> think I'd have capacity to do this done
by EOW.  Does anyone
> > > > >> feel
> > > > >>>>>>> strongly
> > > > >>>>>>>> we need this in the 1.4 release?  From
my perspective this
> > will
> > > > >>>>> already
> > > > >>>>>>> be
> > > > >>>>>>>> a strong release without it.
> > > > >>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 6:42 PM Steffen
Rochel <
> > > > >>>>> steffenrochel@gmail.com>
> > > > >>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> Thanks Patrick, lets target to get
the PR's merged this
> week.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> Call for contributions from the community:
Right now we
> have
> > > > >> 10
> > > > >>> PR
> > > > >>>>>>>>> awaiting
> > > > >>>>>>>>> merge
> > > > >>>>>>>>> <
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>
> > > > >>
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+label%3Apr-awaiting-merge+
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> and
> > > > >>>>>>>>> we have 61 open PR awaiting review.
> > > > >>>>>>>>> <
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>
> > > > >>
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+label%3Apr-awaiting-review
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> I would appreciate if you all can
help to review the open
> PR
> > > > >>> and the
> > > > >>>>>>>>> committers can drive the merge before
code freeze for
> 1.4.0.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> The contributors on the Java API
are making progress, but
> not
> > > > >>> all
> > > > >>>>>>>>> performance issues are resolved.
With some luck it should
> be
> > > > >>>>> possible to
> > > > >>>>>>>>> code freeze towards end of this week.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> Are there other critical features/bugs/PR
you think need to
> > be
> > > > >>>>> included
> > > > >>>>>>> in
> > > > >>>>>>>>> 1.4.0? If so, please communicate
as soon as possible.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> Regards,
> > > > >>>>>>>>> Steffen
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 8:26 PM Zhao,
Patric <
> > > > >>> patric.zhao@intel.com
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> Thanks, Steffen. I think there
is NO open issue to block
> the
> > > > >>>>> MKLDNN to
> > > > >>>>>>>>> GA
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> now.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> BTW, several quantization related
PRs (#13297,#13260) are
> > > > >>> under
> > > > >>>>> the
> > > > >>>>>>>>> review
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> and I think it can be merged
in this week.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> Thanks,
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> --Patric
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> -----Original Message-----
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> From: Steffen Rochel [mailto:steffenrochel@gmail.com]
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Sent: Tuesday, November 20,
2018 2:57 AM
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> To: dev@mxnet.incubator.apache.org
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Subject: Re: [Announce] Upcoming
Apache MXNet
> (incubating)
> > > > >>> 1.4.0
> > > > >>>>>>>>> release
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> On Friday the contributors
working on Java API discovered
> > > > >> a
> > > > >>>>>>> potential
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> performance problem with
inference using Java API vs.
> > > > >>> Python.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> Investigation
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> is ongoing.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> As the Java API is one of
the main features for the
> > > > >> upcoming
> > > > >>>>>>> release,
> > > > >>>>>>>>> I
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> suggest to post-pone the
code freeze towards end of this
> > > > >>> week.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Please provide feedback and
concern about the change in
> > > > >>> dates
> > > > >>>>> for
> > > > >>>>>>> code
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> freeze and 1.4.0 release.
I will provide updates on
> > > > >> progress
> > > > >>>>>>> resolving
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> the
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> potential performance problem.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Patrick - do you think it
is possible to resolve the
> > > > >>> remaining
> > > > >>>>>>> issues
> > > > >>>>>>>>> on
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> MKL-
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> DNN this week, so we can
consider GA for MKL-DNN with
> > > > >> 1.4.0?
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Regards,
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Steffen
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 5:26
AM Anton Chernov <
> > > > >>>>> mechernov@gmail.com>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> I'd like to remind everyone
that 'code freeze' would
> > > > >> mean
> > > > >>>>> cutting
> > > > >>>>>>> a
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> v1.4.x release branch
and all following fixes would need
> > > > >>> to be
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> backported.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> Development on master
can be continued as usual.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> Best
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> Anton
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> ср, 14 нояб. 2018
г. в 6:04, Steffen Rochel <
> > > > >>>>>>>>> steffenrochel@gmail.com>:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> Dear MXNet community,
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> the agreed plan was
to establish code freeze for 1.4.0
> > > > >>>>> release
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> today. As the 1.3.1
patch release is still ongoing I
> > > > >>>>> suggest to
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> post-pone the code
freeze to Friday 16th November
> > > > >> 2018.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> Sergey Kolychev has
agreed to act as co-release
> > > > >> manager
> > > > >>> for
> > > > >>>>> all
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> tasks
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> which
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> require committer
privileges. If anybody is interested
> > > > >>> to
> > > > >>>>>>>>> volunteer
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> as release manager
- now is the time to speak up.
> > > > >>> Otherwise
> > > > >>>>> I
> > > > >>>>>>> will
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> manage
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> the
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> release.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> Regards,
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> Steffen
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>
> > > > >>
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message