mxnet-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Qing Lan <lanking...@live.com>
Subject Re: [Announce] Upcoming Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.4.0 release
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2018 23:17:25 GMT
Hi all,
I have a critical bug-fix PR https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/13330 that essentially
fix the problems for supporting inference with different shape in Scala/Java (introduced in
v1.1). I would like to request to cherry-pick this one in 1.4.

Thanks,
Qing

On 11/29/18, 3:00 PM, "Pedro Larroy" <pedro.larroy.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

    PR is ready from my side and passes the tests, unless somebody raises
    any concerns it's good to go.
    On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:50 PM Steffen Rochel <steffenrochel@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > Pedro - added  to 1.4.0 tracking list
    > <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Apache+MXNet+%28incubating%29+1.4.0+Release+Plan+and+Status#ApacheMXNet(incubating)1.4.0ReleasePlanandStatus-OpenPRstotrack>
    >
    > Do you have already ETA?
    > Steffen
    >
    > On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 6:13 AM Pedro Larroy <pedro.larroy.lists@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all.
    > >
    > > There are two important issues / fixes that should go in the next
    > > release in my radar:
    > >
    > > 1) https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/13409/files
    > > There is a bug in shape inference on CPU when not using MKL, also we
    > > are running activation on CPU via MKL when we compile CUDNN+MKLDNN.
    > > I'm finishing a fix for these issues in the above PR.
    > >
    > > 2) https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/13438
    > > We are seeing crashes due to unsafe setenv in multithreaded code.
    > > Setenv / getenv from multiple threads is not safe and is causing
    > > segfaults. This piece of code (the handlers in pthread_atfork) already
    > > caused a very difficult to diagnose hang in a previous release, where
    > > a fork inside cudnn would deadlock the engine.
    > >
    > > I would remove setenv from 2) as a mitigation, but we would need to
    > > check for regressions as we could be creating additional threads
    > > inside the engine.
    > >
    > > I would suggest that we address these two major issues before the next
    > > release.
    > >
    > > Pedro
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 11:41 PM Steffen Rochel <steffenrochel@gmail.com>
    > > wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Dear MXNet community,
    > > >
    > > > I will be the release manager for the upcoming Apache MXNet 1.4.0
    > > release.
    > > > Sergey Kolychev will be co-managing the release and providing help from
    > > the
    > > > committers side.
    > > > A release candidate will be cut on November 29, 2018 and voting will
    > > start
    > > > December 7, 2018. Release notes have been drafted here [1]. If you have
    > > any
    > > > additional features in progress and would like to include it in this
    > > > release, please assure they have been merged by November 27, 2018.
    > > Release
    > > > schedule is available here [2].
    > > >
    > > > Feel free to add any other comments/suggestions. Please help to review
    > > and
    > > > merge outstanding PR's and resolve issues impacting the quality of the
    > > > 1.4.0 release.
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > >
    > > > Steffen
    > > >
    > > > [1]
    > > >
    > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Apache+MXNet+%28incubating%29+1.4.0+Release+Notes
    > > >
    > > > [2]
    > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Apache+MXNet+%28incubating%29+1.4.0+Release+Plan+and+Status
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 7:15 PM kellen sunderland <
    > > > kellen.sunderland@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Spoke too soon[1], looks like others have been adding Turing support
as
    > > > > well (thanks to those helping with this).  I believe there's still
a
    > > few
    > > > > changes we'd have to make to claim support though (mshadow CMake
    > > changes,
    > > > > PyPi package creation tweaks).
    > > > >
    > > > > 1:
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/commit/2c3357443ec3d49a11e93c89f278264ce10c2f08
    > > > >
    > > > > On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 7:00 PM kellen sunderland <
    > > > > kellen.sunderland@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > > Hey Steffen, I'd like to be able to merge this PR for version
1.4:
    > > > > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/13310 . It fixes
a
    > > > > > regression in master which causes incorrect feature vectors to
be
    > > output
    > > > > > when using the TensorRT feature.  (Thanks to Nathalie for helping
me
    > > > > track
    > > > > > down the root cause of the issue).   I'm currently blocked on
a CI
    > > issue
    > > > > I
    > > > > > haven't seen before, but hope to have it resolved by EOW.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > One call-out I would make is that we currently don't support
Turing
    > > > > > architecture (sm_75).  I've been slowly trying to add support,
but I
    > > > > don't
    > > > > > think I'd have capacity to do this done by EOW.  Does anyone
feel
    > > > > strongly
    > > > > > we need this in the 1.4 release?  From my perspective this will
    > > already
    > > > > be
    > > > > > a strong release without it.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 6:42 PM Steffen Rochel <
    > > steffenrochel@gmail.com>
    > > > > > wrote:
    > > > > >
    > > > > >> Thanks Patrick, lets target to get the PR's merged this week.
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >> Call for contributions from the community: Right now we have
10 PR
    > > > > >> awaiting
    > > > > >> merge
    > > > > >> <
    > > > > >>
    > > > >
    > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+label%3Apr-awaiting-merge+
    > > > > >> >
    > > > > >> and
    > > > > >> we have 61 open PR awaiting review.
    > > > > >> <
    > > > > >>
    > > > >
    > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+label%3Apr-awaiting-review
    > > > > >> >
    > > > > >> I would appreciate if you all can help to review the open
PR and the
    > > > > >> committers can drive the merge before code freeze for 1.4.0.
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >> The contributors on the Java API are making progress, but
not all
    > > > > >> performance issues are resolved. With some luck it should
be
    > > possible to
    > > > > >> code freeze towards end of this week.
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >> Are there other critical features/bugs/PR you think need
to be
    > > included
    > > > > in
    > > > > >> 1.4.0? If so, please communicate as soon as possible.
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >> Regards,
    > > > > >> Steffen
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >> On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 8:26 PM Zhao, Patric <patric.zhao@intel.com
    > > >
    > > > > >> wrote:
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >> > Thanks, Steffen. I think there is NO open issue to block
the
    > > MKLDNN to
    > > > > >> GA
    > > > > >> > now.
    > > > > >> >
    > > > > >> > BTW, several quantization related PRs (#13297,#13260)
are under
    > > the
    > > > > >> review
    > > > > >> > and I think it can be merged in this week.
    > > > > >> >
    > > > > >> > Thanks,
    > > > > >> >
    > > > > >> > --Patric
    > > > > >> >
    > > > > >> >
    > > > > >> > > -----Original Message-----
    > > > > >> > > From: Steffen Rochel [mailto:steffenrochel@gmail.com]
    > > > > >> > > Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:57 AM
    > > > > >> > > To: dev@mxnet.incubator.apache.org
    > > > > >> > > Subject: Re: [Announce] Upcoming Apache MXNet (incubating)
1.4.0
    > > > > >> release
    > > > > >> > >
    > > > > >> > > On Friday the contributors working on Java API
discovered a
    > > > > potential
    > > > > >> > > performance problem with inference using Java API
vs. Python.
    > > > > >> > Investigation
    > > > > >> > > is ongoing.
    > > > > >> > > As the Java API is one of the main features for
the upcoming
    > > > > release,
    > > > > >> I
    > > > > >> > > suggest to post-pone the code freeze towards end
of this week.
    > > > > >> > >
    > > > > >> > > Please provide feedback and concern about the change
in dates
    > > for
    > > > > code
    > > > > >> > > freeze and 1.4.0 release. I will provide updates
on progress
    > > > > resolving
    > > > > >> > the
    > > > > >> > > potential performance problem.
    > > > > >> > >
    > > > > >> > > Patrick - do you think it is possible to resolve
the remaining
    > > > > issues
    > > > > >> on
    > > > > >> > MKL-
    > > > > >> > > DNN this week, so we can consider GA for MKL-DNN
with 1.4.0?
    > > > > >> > >
    > > > > >> > > Regards,
    > > > > >> > > Steffen
    > > > > >> > >
    > > > > >> > > On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 5:26 AM Anton Chernov <
    > > mechernov@gmail.com>
    > > > > >> > > wrote:
    > > > > >> > >
    > > > > >> > > > I'd like to remind everyone that 'code freeze'
would mean
    > > cutting
    > > > > a
    > > > > >> > > > v1.4.x release branch and all following fixes
would need to be
    > > > > >> > backported.
    > > > > >> > > > Development on master can be continued as
usual.
    > > > > >> > > >
    > > > > >> > > > Best
    > > > > >> > > > Anton
    > > > > >> > > >
    > > > > >> > > > ср, 14 нояб. 2018 г. в 6:04, Steffen
Rochel <
    > > > > >> steffenrochel@gmail.com>:
    > > > > >> > > >
    > > > > >> > > > > Dear MXNet community,
    > > > > >> > > > > the agreed plan was to establish code
freeze for 1.4.0
    > > release
    > > > > >> > > > > today. As the 1.3.1 patch release is
still ongoing I
    > > suggest to
    > > > > >> > > > > post-pone the code freeze to Friday 16th
November 2018.
    > > > > >> > > > >
    > > > > >> > > > > Sergey Kolychev has agreed to act as
co-release manager for
    > > all
    > > > > >> > > > > tasks
    > > > > >> > > > which
    > > > > >> > > > > require committer privileges. If anybody
is interested to
    > > > > >> volunteer
    > > > > >> > > > > as release manager - now is the time
to speak up. Otherwise
    > > I
    > > > > will
    > > > > >> > > > > manage
    > > > > >> > > > the
    > > > > >> > > > > release.
    > > > > >> > > > >
    > > > > >> > > > > Regards,
    > > > > >> > > > > Steffen
    > > > > >> > > > >
    > > > > >> > > >
    > > > > >> >
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > >
    

Mime
View raw message