mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Hao Jin <hjjn.a...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding AMD CPU to CI
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2018 02:28:42 GMT
For CPUs, the supported instruction sets may also vary between the same
manufacturer's different product lines of the same generation (Skylake-SP
versus Skylake).
For the same instruction set, the two manufacturers should both have a
working version of the hardware implementation. If any of the
implementations does not work, then the chip would not even be considered
functioning properly.
If some AMD CPUs only support up to AVX2 instruction sets, they would just
function in the same way as an Intel CPU that supports up to AVX2
instruction sets. The performance may vary, but the capability and behavior
of the two chips would be the same when given the same machine code.
For AMD GPUs it's a totally different story, as AMD GPUs do not share the
same instruction sets with the NVIDIA ones, thus testing on AMD GPUs(if we
do have support for them) would definitely add values.
Hao

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 8:37 PM Anirudh Subramanian <anirudh2290@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Instruction set extensions support like AVX2, AVX512 etc. can vary between
> AMD and Intel and there can also be a time lag between when Intel supports
> it versus when AMD supports it.
> Also, in the future this setup may be useful in case MXNet supports AMD
> GPUs and AWS also happens to have support for it.
>
> Anirudh
>

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 4:29 PM Marco de Abreu
> <marco.g.abreu@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I think it's worth a discussion to do a sanity check. While generally
> these
> > instructions are standardized, we also made the experience with ARM that
> > the theory and reality sometimes don't match. Thus, it's always good to
> > check.
> >
> > In the next months we are going to refactor our slave creation processes.
> > Chance Bair has been working on rewriting Windows slaves from scratch (we
> > used images that haven't really been updated for 2 years - we still don't
> > know what was done on them) and they're ready soon. In the following
> > months, we will also port our Ubuntu slaves to the new method (don't
> have a
> > timeline yet). Ideally, the integration of AMD instances will only be a
> > matter of running the same pipeline on a different instance type. In that
> > Case, it should not be a big deal.
> >
> > If there are big differences, that's already a yellow flag for
> > compatibility, but that's unlikely. But in that case, we would have to
> make
> > a more thorough time analysis and whether it's worth the effort. Maybe,
> > somebody else could also lend us a hand and help us with adding AMD
> > support.
> >
> > -Marco
> >
> > Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018, 01:22 hat Hao Jin <hjjn.amzn@gmail.com>
> > geschrieben:
> >
> > > f16c is also an instruction set supported by both brands' recent CPUs
> > just
> > > like x86, AVX, SSE etc., and any difference in behaviors (quite
> > impossible
> > > to happen or it will be a major defect) would most likely be caused by
> > the
> > > underlying hardware implementation, so still, adding AMD instances is
> not
> > > adding much value here.
> > > Hao

> _was_