mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Markham <aaron.s.mark...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nightly/Weekly tests for examples
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2018 23:14:38 GMT
Naveen - I agree with you there. Not every example should be moved to
tutorials... just the ones that would be great to have on the site and
to be tested regularly.
I think that having examples of specific APIs will be useful on the website too.

Ankit, there's a cost/benefit analysis for keeping both a command line
example and a notebook. That has maintenance overhead.
A couple of options to debate and apply on a case-by-case basis:
1) Only maintain one or the other.
2) If it's really important, maintain both, but update both codebases
with notes and directions for maintenance, so that if one is found
broken and is getting updated, contributors know that they should
update the other.

Since the CNN Viz example/tutorial is for visualization, I'd lean
towards #1 and keep only the notebook. Then delete the example, but
since it requires a python file from that examples folder as a
utility, move this to a tutorials_utils folder in /docs. That folder
should be organized appropriately and excluded in the docs build
config in conf.py. Look for "exclude_patterns".

My 3 cents... Cheers,
Aaron

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:26 AM Khedia, Ankit
<khedia@amazon.com.invalid> wrote:

> We can start small consolidating few examples which are there in both tutorials/examples
folder.
> One of such example is GradCAM implementation:
> In tutorials - https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/master/docs/tutorials/vision/cnn_visualization.md
> In examples- https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/master/example/cnn_visualization
> The only difference is we have a python script in place of notebook in examples folder
for this particular example.
> Any thoughts/suggestions?
>
> On the other hand, I agree with Sandeep that there should be some basic testing of examples
and we can start with a small set of python examples to begin with.