mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Tianqi Chen <tqc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] - Adopt "Become a Committer and PPMC Member" Document
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2018 05:03:23 GMT
As far as I recall from what Jim said

"The ASF strives for consensus, and votes and voting are used, primarily,
to gauge that. It's not used to divide a community; it's used to UNITE it.
Voting is used when collaboration and consensus building *FAILS*. It should
be rare."

In this context, we all agree that when a veto vote occurs everyone should
respect it and not kick a dead horse.  On the other hand, the
PMC/committers should be cautious when using this power, as the community
should always encourage reach consensus via reasonable technical discussion
first.

As with all the ML models, every guideline can be interpreted in an
adversarial fashion but I hope we can have a goodwill to build toward a
positive sum collaboration.

Tianqi