mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From kellen sunderland <kellen.sunderl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Separating PMC and Committership
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2018 09:04:30 GMT
I think it makes a lot of sense to separate these roles Haibin.  My
impression is there's a high degree of knowledge and experience required to
make strategic design decisions on the project.  There's a bunch of core
members of the team that have that knowledge, and I feel there's a bit of
an un-written rule at the moment within the community that we defer to
their judgement for important decisions.

Given this I think it makes sense to have some tiered membership.  This
gives some opportunities for contributors to be recognized, and would allow
them to help out with some of the day-to-day tasks that PPMC members
wouldn't have time for.

When it comes to responsibilities one high-level suggestion I'd make is
that core members retain decision making abilities for the 'big' decisions
where experience is required.  Anything controversial, anything that has
wide impacts on the project etc. should be signed off on by a PPMC member.
Committers could then potentially be free to work on anything that doesn't
fall in this category.  As an example a committer could help update code to
follow existing style guides, and PPMC member would be required to sign off
on new guides.