mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Naveen Swamy <mnnav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Separating PMC and Committership
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2018 17:50:53 GMT
Thanks for bringing up here. I think this topic and suggestions should be a
little more concrete by clarifying the difference between the role of
committer and PMC member.

Based on my understanding of here are my comments and concerns

1) I agree we need to bring more committers into the project, How would you
change the existing (but not followed IMO) committer criteria[1].

2) Can you expand on what significant contribution means to become a PMC
member? I think its important to recognize people who are supporting the
project in other ways than making code contributions like those building
tutorials/documentation/managing CI/managing community, etc.,

3) There are ~40 PMC members(committer+mentors), out of which i can count
in one hand the number of people who participate on the list(not
questioning) - This separation might lose perspectives that new members
bring into the PMC.

4) Building consensus in the PMC - IMHO, the problem here is when we have
disagreements is whether we(self included) accept each other's feedback and
respectfully disagree with each other - that is something for the PMC to
contemplate. I wonder if keeping people out would solve that problem.

5) like other's mentioned, it's important to call out what does being a
committer and a PMC member mean.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Becoming+a+Committer