mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Carin Meier <carinme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Separating PMC and Committership
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2018 12:42:50 GMT
Thanks Micheal for making the process clearer to me. It helps quite a bit.

Also thanks to Chris and Steffen for your clarification and input.

I think there are two issues that are intermingled in considering this. One
relates to separating levels of committer and PMC member. The other, as
Steffen pointed out, relates to the criteria which we use to consider
people for these levels of membership. I would propose that to make it
easier to achieve consensus, we consider them each as their own proposal.

The proposal of separating levels of committer and PMC member can be
considered on the Apache definitions of rights and responsibilities here
https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles: Since the PMC
member has more rights and responsibilities than a committer, I think it
implies a stricter criteria, (although it would be unspecified in the
proposal).

The proposal of redefining our project's criteria in respect to how we
consider nomination to those roles could be a separate discussion and vote
since there are other issues that we might want to tackle such as inclusion
of non-code contributions and general alignment to the Apache definitions.

We can of course choose to tackle the proposal of redefining the criteria
first or do the separation of levels first since the discussion is already
in progress.

Thoughts?

- Carin

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 2:04 AM Steffen Rochel <steffenrochel@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> "make significant contribution". In my view the discussion has not answered
> the questions and it is not clear to me what changes are proposed to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Becoming+a+Committer .
> I'm making the assumption that the proposal is to simplify the path for
> becoming a committer to grow the committer community. So far I have not
> heard what changes or simplifications are proposed. Without a change I fail
> to see the benefit of this proposal to increase the number of committers.
> I agree that the path from committer to PMC member should be clarified as
> well and suggest to align with expectations and responsibilities of PMC
> members.
> I'm also under the assumption that the proposal only applies for future
> committers and PMC members, not for existing PMC members and this
> assumption should be clarified.
>
> Steffen
>
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 4:29 PM Chris Olivier <cjolivier01@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I believe the assumption has always been that current PMC members will
> > remain PMC members.
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 3:51 PM Michael Wall <mjwall@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I too think separating committers from PMC is a good idea for your
> > project
> > > given the desire to grow committers and the concerns I have seen trying
> > > add new committers.  I saw at least one other mentor, Jim on this
> thread
> > > too.
> > >
> > > Is the plan to leave all current PMC members in the PMC?  If that is
> not
> > > the plan, perhaps more discussion is required before moving on.
> > >
> > > Assuming you feel the discussion is done, someone needs to start a
> vote.
> > > This would be a procedural change as outlined on
> > > https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> > >
> > > If I were doing it, I would announce on this thread I am starting a
> vote
> > on
> > > this matter tomorrow or some specified time.  I might even outline what
> > the
> > > vote will be.  This give people a chance to speak up if they think more
> > > discussion is needed.  Assuming no more discussion, start a [VOTE]
> thread
> > > on the dev list.
> > >
> > > I am used to seeing [VOTE] and [DISCUSS] in the subject line of such
> > emails
> > > but I didn't find any official guidance on that.  Maybe it is a project
> > by
> > > project decision, I did find
> > >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDGENT/Sample+process+emails
> > .
> > > I totally parsed right over the [Discussion] in the subject this thread
> > but
> > > I'll be on the look out for it in the future.

The