mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Hagay Lupesko <lupe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions regarding C Predict and C++ API provided by MxNet.
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2018 03:22:55 GMT
Amol,

I can try and provide my 2 cents on some of these questions:
- "What are the typical uses cases in which C++ (cpp-package) or C (C
Predict) APIs are used? For example: inference, training or both."
Note that the C API supports inference only.
>From my experience as an Amazon Web Services employee, teams/customers who
used the C API used it mainly for inference. Python is much more convenient
and suitable for rapid experimentation that is important for building and
training models.

- "Currently, users are required to build these APIs from source.
Would it be helpful if these APIs are available as standalone packages
distributed via package managers (example: apt-get)?"
I think it will reduce friction significantly if MXNet offers pre-build
binaries. MXNet build takes a while to build and to figure out, there's
quite a few build flag options, which may be intimidating for users,
especially new users.
Package managers will be great, but even just binary libraries available on
a shared location (e.g. S3) would be super useful.

HTH,
Hagay