mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Sheng Zha <szha....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release MXNet version 1.3.0.RC0
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2018 02:13:01 GMT
Thanks for sharing your opinions, Thomas. Your recognition and respect of
people's efforts on preparing the release candidate are certainly
appreciated.

Now that the vote is set to fail thanks to the veto, there will be plenty
of opportunities to include those bug fixes, including the one Zhi
mentioned [1], which was already merged in the master and yet chose not to
block this release with [2]. I will be happy to work with Roshani to
prepare another release candidate once ready.

-sz

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f02e952bec22c82cb00a6741390a78f55373311c97464997bb455a6c@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/85d3fcabb3437ba7f1af455cf69aa13eb3afd1ea1d1f6f891e9c339c@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 6:02 PM Thomas DELTEIL <thomas.delteil1@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> that
> > this is for advanced use cases of using half-precision training, why is
> it
> > so much more important than any other open bug reports, that for this
> > specific bug fix, we have to delay the access of regular users to the new
> > MXNet 1.3 release by at least another week?
> >
> > Honestly, I'm concerned that your vote is biased by Amazon involvement,
> > given that you quoted Amazon Rekognition.
> >
> > -sz
> >
> > [1]
> >

> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ABug+sort%3Acomments-desc
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 4:51 PM sandeep krishnamurthy <
> > sandeep.krishna98@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > My initial vote of “-0” was due to lack of info from a user who had
> said,
> > > he overcame this issue for FP16 model.
> > >

> > > However, suggested workaround [1] for the issue is not straight forward
> > and
> > > generally usable for all users. Also, issue is not simple and isolated
> > > be listed in the Release Notes as known issue with a workaround.
> > >

> > > Changing my vote to: "-1 (binding)" owing to the user impact [3]
> > >

> > > @Sheng:
> > >
> > > 1. Agreed, bug existed from long time. However, FP16 and such
> > optimizations
> > > were added later on. Followed by users [2] using this feature for high
> > > performance use cases. It is not ok to measure severity of the bug
> based
> > on
> > > its past existence, rather we can see who is impacted now and is it a
> > small
> > > subset with a simple workaround or large user impacting issue.
> > >
> > > 2. Agreed bug was reported 7/21. However, I became aware of this issue
> on
> > > 08/29 and submitted the fix on 08/30. Also, I did bring this to the
> > notice
> > > of community, you and 1.3 release manager (Roshani) on the RC0 proposal
> > > thread. Also, I would focus on the issue and user impact than who
> > > identified and who is fixing the issue.
> > >

> > > Based on my discussion with 2 users, I think it is a important feature
> > for
> > > them to see in Apache MXNet v1.3.0.
> > >

> > > Best,
> > >
> > > Sandeep
> > >

> > > [1] Workaround used by the user.
> > >

> > > net_fp16 = mx.gluon.SymbolBlock.imports('resnet34_fp16-symbol.json',
> > > ['data'])
> > >
> > > params_fp16 = mx.nd.load('resnet34_fp16-0000.params')
> > >

> > > for k, v in params_fp16.items():
> > >
> > >     new_key = k.split(':')[1]
> > >
> > >     net_fp16.collect_params()[new_key].cast(v.dtype)
> > >

> > > net_fp16.collect_params().load('resnet34_fp16-0000.params', ctx)
> > >

> > > [2] Amazon Rekognition
> > >

> > > [3] User story: Train a model -> Cast it to FP16 -> Save the model ->
> > Load
> > > back the model does not work. They have to cast every parameter with a

Clojure package.
> > +1

Nagmote <

Apache MXNet