mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Sheng Zha <szha....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release MXNet version 1.3.0.RC0
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2018 00:11:50 GMT
Sandeep,

Thanks for explaining your veto. We have open bugs that impacted a lot more
than just 3 customers, just by referring to the number of commenters on the
issue [1].

You said that this is for "high performance use cases", which contradicts
with Hagay's assement that this is "basic functionality broken". Given that
this is for advanced use cases of using half-precision training, why is it
so much more important than any other open bug reports, that for this
specific bug fix, we have to delay the access of regular users to the new
MXNet 1.3 release by at least another week?

Honestly, I'm concerned that your vote is biased by Amazon involvement,
given that you quoted Amazon Rekognition.

-sz

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ABug+sort%3Acomments-desc

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 4:51 PM sandeep krishnamurthy <
sandeep.krishna98@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > - "why this specific bug is more important than all the other known bugs,
> > that this becomes a release blocker"
> > I do not consider it to be more or less important than other fixes. It
> can
> > be fixed and included in the release alongside the rest of the release
> > content, right?
> > From the description of the issue it seems important since it is blocking
> > users from loading models that were previously trained and saved. There
> is
> > nothing stopping the community from including this fix into 1.3.0,
> > alongside the rest of the features and fixes.
> >
> > - "The bug exists since SymbolBlock was introduced a year ago and has
> > survived at least three releases, so this is not a regression."
> > I do not think I said it is a regression. However, the fact a bug existed
> > before, does not mean it is OK to release it rather than fix it.
> >
> > - "Timeline-wise, this bug was reported on 7/21, but was not reported as
> > release-blocker in the release discussion thread until 8/31 [1]. Neither
> > its reporting as release-blocker nor its fix made it for the 8/3 code
> > freeze."
> > You are right, would have been better to have this identified and fixed
> > earlier and included before code freeze.
> >
> > - "The PR is still not ready yet as it doesn't have approval."
> > I think it is waiting for your review.
> >
> > - "it would be great if you could provide some additional reasoning
> besides
> > "X mentions the issue" or "fix was done by X""
> > I have. Repeating what I wrote in my previous email for clarity: Basic
> > functionality broken: loading a model (albeit one that that was saved as
> > non FP32)
> >
> > So, yes - this issue seems to have been out there for a while, somehow
> went
> > under the radar... but I think the key question is whether this blocks a
> > basic functionality in MXNet. I believe so, hence my -1 vote.
> >
> > Hagay
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 1:19 PM Sheng Zha <szha.pvg@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Hagay and Sandeep,
> > >
> > > Could you help us understand why this specific bug is more important
> than
> > > all the other known bugs, that this becomes a release blocker?
> > >
> > > Some facts to consider:
> > > - The bug exists since SymbolBlock was introduced a year ago and has
> > > survived at least three releases, so this is not a regression.
> > > - Timeline-wise, this bug was reported on 7/21, but was not reported as
> > > release-blocker in the release discussion thread until 8/31 [1].
> Neither
> > > its reporting as release-blocker nor its fix made it for the 8/3 code
> > > freeze.
> > > - The PR is still not ready yet as it doesn't have approval.
> > >
> > > Hagay, it would be great if you could provide some additional reasoning
> > > besides "X mentions the issue" or "fix was done by X". Thanks.

+1

MXNet