mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From "Lv, Tao A" <tao.a...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Remove MKLML as dependency
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2018 02:48:49 GMT
Hi Alex,

Thanks for bringing this up.

The original intention of MKLML is to provide a light and easy-to-access library for ML/DL
community. It's released with MKL-DNN under Apache-2.0 license.

AFAIK, MKL-DNN still relies on it for better performance. So I'm afraid there will be a performance
regression in MKL pip packages if MKLML is simply removed.

Have you ever tried the build without MKLML and how does the performance look like?

-tao

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Zai [mailto:azai91@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:49 AM
To: dev@mxnet.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Remove MKLML as dependency

On our build from source page we have a list of blas libraries that are recommended:
https://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/install/build_from_source.html

MKL-DNN
MKL
MKLML
Apple Accelerate
OpenBlas

MKLML is a subset of MKL (https://github.com/intel/mkl-dnn/issues/102)
and therefore MKLML users can just use MKL instead. Does anyone see an issue with me removing
this? It would simplify out doc page and build file.

Alex