mxnet-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan Serdyuk <local.tourist.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Apache MXNet user group meetings
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2018 08:06:08 GMT
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:04 PM Davydenko, Denis <
dzianis.davydzenka@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, Apache MXNet community,

Hello.

> I would like to submit for your consideration updated and improved
> suggestion for Apache MXNet User Groups meetings: [1]. Main goals of this
> initiative are:
>
> - make it easy: users and developers should be able to understand what is
> Group Meeting and how to participate in it in under 60 seconds

Maybe.

> - make it real: users and developers will have access to Apache MXNet
> committers and contributors live and can discuss their topics in person

OK

> - make it scalable: it should be easy for Apache MXNet community members
> to join initiative and host more User Groups meetings on their own schedule

Well, we can do something for hosting such in Ukraine - but that is a
pretty good question: why would they go to Ukraine, from nearby countries
(considering that local developers/engineers could be interested by
default)? I as for local attendees - I might assume that they might even be
interested to come to Germany, cause of that (for a week, for instance -
and come to your local office).

> - make it fun: there should be minimal process to run User Groups meetings

Which would not be supported by Amazon? How do you imagine that?

> Please note this wiki page’s purpose is to introduce and describe
> initiative for Apache MXNet community and seek improvements/changes
> suggestions.

We might provide contributors, for composing this in Russian and Ukrainian,
too.

> User facing document will be separate and will only contain short
> paragraph on what is User Group meetings are and how to participate (see
> above: user should be able to understand it in under 60 seconds).

OK, that is predictable.

> There were couple quite successful pilot sessions hosted by group of
> Apache MXNet developers in Berlin. Users clearly likes this channel of
> communication and this initiative is an effort to streamline it for bigger
> user participation.

You can improve that by either switching audio/video streaming software -
either using zoom/bluejeans/hangouts/... via round robin or providing
streaming for few services (at once - say, people could chose bet. chime
and zoom). I am able to find sponsors for commercial accounts for such
software - as also as for covering the costs of the hardware setup (within
the MXNet hours hosting location, to stream audio/video online). So those
options would be added to what AWS would support.

> Also, we are looking to add small reference to User Groups meetings into
> Apache MXNet documentation to bring user awareness up.

I am running a user group's page on Facebook and could share something on
meetup.com. I could assist.